We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip to Tasmania

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
4 day trip to Tasmania

Hi,

I'm planning a trip for two to Tasmania at the end of July.

It's a very short trip of only 4 days - landing and departing Hobart.

I have hired a car for this period.

I was originally going to stay around the region, going to MONA and maybe doing the Mount Field National Park...

but I feel like I'm not really spending our time wisely.

We have been to Hobart before, and done most of the city attractions... but never been outside of Hobart.

I thought about going to Port Arthur and maybe doing the Ghost tour there.

I'm not a big fan of going to wineries and I do like nature stuff and don't mind long drives.

Can anyone suggest a 4 day itinerary starting and finishing in Hobart? Happy to travel as far north / east / west as possible, and sightseeing as much of Tassie as possible.

Suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Terry

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

You possibly have time for a small circle.

pend a day in Hobart to see MONA.

Next day, head from Hobart to Port Arthur for the day, but then continue on to about Swansea on the East coast. (The ghost tour really isn't worth an overnight stay at PA, IMO)

Next day, see Freycinet National Park. then head west via St Mary's and Longford (see Woolmers and/or Brickendon) to Launceston.

Depending on whether your fourth day is a full day and night or not, time your return to Hobart down the Midland Highway via Ross and Oatlands to the airport or a final night in Hobart.

Have a look at the Top Question titled Touring by Car for more ideas.

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Thanks for help Luigi!

Gives me something to plan towards, appreciate the adivce.

Terry

3. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 16:22
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Jill aka queensdomainview, before you wear out your keyboard today you might want to take a look at this. tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

Edited: 21 July 2013, 06:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

I'm doing a 4 day stopover myself there next October long weekend. And, like yourself, I prefer the adventure sports to cellar door tours. For that reason, I've opted to do the quad biking half day ride on the Freysnet Peninsula. Hope the spelling is correct. Anyway, the salient point is that if you are trying to talk the '

other half into this sort of trip, tell her that quads don't fall over. Sound convincing. Secondly, choose the 4 hour tour. The two hour tour stops to pick weeds or something. Don't spend your money on environmental conservation. You can do that in your own time.

Second activity. The Mt Wellington Bicycle descent in Hobart I'm still researching this one, although it sounds pretty tame. They have you going down the 21 kilometre road for most of it when you ought to be hitting the famous North/south trail. See if one of the tour companies can take you to the top of the mountain. If you have your own bike, maxi cabs quoted me about $90. I'm going to try some of the tour operators next. It's a 21 kilometre drive to the top. An hour to an hour and a half return with photo stops, but if you are a reasonable cyclist and like living on the edge, you can punch through that time in about 45 mintues.

Next activity. If you are taking your bikes (you pay for a bike box and some extra luggage if travelling by air) go to Maria Island. The better cruises that take you to the sea caves and such aren't operating until September. The operator doesn't like going out if it's cold. So, take your bicylces on the ferry to Maria Island and pedal around. With a bit of luck, you may get to sea the sea caves. It's fairyly big and takes a while to cover on foot, but bikes may be the go. Maria island is a car free island incidentally. Now, inbetween trips to Port Arthur and such, depart Hobart and go via Richmond as a concession to convict built architecture and some cellar door opportunities mixed with cafes to keep the other half happy. Same ddeal when you leave Coles bay (where the quad biking is) and head north via St Helens. Very picturesque and a few photo opportunities, but rather quiet in comaparison to mountain biking and white water rafting.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Jack O, welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

It would be worthwhile reading the website for the Mount Wellington Descent. They take you to the top of the mountain. You don't need to arrange that yourself. http://www.mtwellingtondescent.com.au/

And the Parks Service rents bikes at Maria Island. You don't need to take your own: www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=17200

Anyone considering riding a quad bike also needs to do their own research on their astonishingly poor safety record. Googling "quad bike deaths" is a good start point.

Luigi

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Sounds like the same Jack that was overtaking the snow plough a few days ago

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

One can't help but wonder?

Savannah, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Hello! I need to visit MONA and also plan to make it a short trip. I will be looking to travel in the warm months and appreciate all the advice posted. I will be leaving from GA, USA and traveling solo. Is there any special advisories for single female traveler?

Thank you,

Claire

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,611 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day trip to Tasmania

Hi Clmoure, it might have been better if you started your own post, but anyway, the best advice one can give, is to just enjoy yourself, and I would advise you to use Hobart as a base for your stay, and do day tours from there. For getting too MONA, catch the ferry near the CBD - http://www.mona.net.au/visit/getting-here/

Hobart is a lovely city, and IMO very safe, and in the centre of many wonderful places to visit.

Have a read of the Top questions about Hobart, located top right of the screen on the Hobart Forum, link below, lots of fantastic up to date info.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255097-i1073-H…

The warm months, and IMO the better due to them being just out of the peak season, would be November, February and March, December and January can get very busy as it's our school holidays, and in Hobart especially there are some major events, which hotels can get booked out quickly.

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 21 August 2013, 23:10