We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car - baby seat

Adelaide
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car - baby seat

We will be hiring a car for a six night stay in Hobart. I'm a little concerned that hiring a baby seat through a rental car company may be tricky. Has anyone had experience? My daughter will be 8 months but is tall and thin, I would want her rear facing but I understand some only have RF capsules which she is too long for...would like her to be safe especially as we will be driving everyday.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Why not take your own.

It should travel for free :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

As GW says, bring your own. Airlines aren't yet grasping enough to charge for baby stuff. And that way you only have the problem of installing it.

It may be best to speak to a rental company directly so that they can give you a vehicle with easy fittings. Local car rental websites are here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s302/Hobar…

Luigi

Adelaide
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Thanks guys. We don't know how to fit our seat - had it professionally done. I also don't think we can manage with two suitcases, stroller and baby...to also carry our carseat. Was hoping to hear of anyone's experience with the big rentals and carseats...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Hi Bekstar

Imho, I would do as PPs suggested - take your own seat. First of all, this way it is yours - you don't know who was in the rental before, what was spilled over it, how (if at all) it was cleaned and where it was stored. Installing baby seats is easy; in my opinion, professional installers make it out to be difficult with the sole purpose of parting you from your hard-earned cash (because you want only the best for your baby, don't you?) I put it in myself (not even my husband :) when our son was a baby and following that it didn't stay attached there forever, but was put into whatever car we were going to travel in - Nana's, babysitter's, friends'...You would have a luggage trolley at the airport. Just think of the baby seat as of one more suitcase - odd-shaped and a bit more awkward, but transportable. Hobart airport is not large by any standards, you won't have far to walk.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 18 September 2013, 08:56
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Definitely take your own! I travelled to ayers rocks with my 1 yr old. I get my friend to drive my car (with the car seat) to drop us at the airport. And then I removed the car seat and take it with us.

It is better to take your own car seat. It is true that you can hire from the rental car company, but what if the previous user damaged the car seat or they never returned it?? The rental car company will not go and purchase a car seat for you and you are left with no car seat.

So, don't risk it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Well I must be the only one but I would suggest talking to the car rental company and getting it sorted before you go so that when you get off the plane, all you need to do is grab your luggage and jump in your car for the start of your trip. If you are worried about hygiene then take some wipes etc.

We travelled extensively with our son when he was at that age both domestically and internationally and never once took our own car seat and never had any dramas. He is now 15 ansd suffered so ailments.

Because of my work situation back then I always looked for the simple and easiest option that would get us from point a to b.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

Thank you...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

I have always hired the baby seat - last trip we needed 3 and I certainly was not going to travel with 3 car seats, three little kids and luggage for everyone as well. The rental companies have more than one car seat for hire so they will not run out.

Most rental companies will hire either front or rear facing seats for around $5 extra per day There is usually an option to check when you're renting the car. They will fit them for you although it is simple to do it yourself. Just attach the anchor point behind the seat and plug in the seat belt through the back of the car seat then tighten all the straps.

9. Re: Hiring a car - baby seat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:16