We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huon valley drive from Hobart

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
346 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Huon valley drive from Hobart

Hi,

As part of our trip in mid February I'm planning one day trip to Huon valley and back to Hobart.

Plan is below, but I believe it could be too much driving, especially as the next day we will be going to Strahan, another long drive!

Map of the drive: http://goo.gl/maps/675tp

- Drive Hobart to Tahune Airwalk with stops at Huonville and Geevstone

- Drive from Tahune Airwalk to Cygnet

- Cygnet to Hobart via Channel Hwy stopping at Woodbridge, Kettering etc.

Few more questions:

- is Tahune Airwalk worth longish drive to get there?

- is it worth going all the way to South on Channel Hwy, perhaps we would not miss much if we cut it to Woodbridge via Woodbridge Hill road?

- can we buy fresh apples in mid February in Huon valley?

Thank you.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,766 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

Hi ErnJay,

IMO -yes, yes & yes.

The drive is lovely, with some great views along the way. The shortcut through Woodbridge is obviously shorter and to be honest not that interesting, and if you've allowed all day, you might as well. Every time we go down that way, we nearly come home poorer, we would like to buy some land at Egg & Bacon Bay.

Even if you're not in to the walks like Tahune, the drive is nice, winding though, and the walk is worth it.

February is right in the middle of apple season, our last time of going around the Channel Highway, which was AUGUST, we got fresh apples in plastic bags at the little stalls along the road. If I remember correctly, they were 5kg bags at a cost of $2 per bag, we bought 10 bags for our cow at home, and I ate a few along the way, delicious :o)

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 15 January 2014, 04:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

Thank you Rob, I miss fresh apples, the ones from Wollies here in Sydney are not that great :(

So you reckon that this trip is perfectly doable in a day including Tahune Airwalk? (according to Google maps it's 233km and ~4 hours drive)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,766 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

Hi ErnJay, I've completed the course many times. I have to go to Hobart several times a year, so I make sure whatever I'm doing is finished on a Friday, and my wife comes with me. and we have the weekend down there, so we always go for a drive.

It's a full day, and there are places and things to see, like Grandewe, Peppermint Bay etc -

http://grandvewe.com.au/

http://www.peppermintbay.com.au/

Cygnet is a lovely little town, with some interesting shops, you know the arty and crafty stuff.

Geeveston is worth a look around, albeit short look around. There's nice café there, very good food, I think it was the Country Café, sorry I remember the food more than the place, although it was quaint.

Also at Margate, they have this place called the Margate Train. It's a train with a café style place in the carriages, and all the other carriages are filled with others selling their bric a brac. Even if you don't want to look in these carriages, the second hand places at the southern end of the train is well worth a look, my wife loves the place.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g652403…

Adding tother places you see along the way, you have Huonville, it's OK, and you have the Tahune Airwalk, a very enjoyable and full day.

You can't beat an apple that's been picked fresh from the tree :o)

Cheers

Robert

Edited: 15 January 2014, 05:04
australia
Level Contributor
577 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

Did Tahune Airwalk last week.As we drove there in our large campervan we were concerned it wasN't a wise choice.Happily it is fantasic.We got a free guided tour at 1130 which was great and then 2 bridge walk.The kids loved the eagle gliding.The food at cafe was fabulous (suggest beef burger and open salmon sandwich.)The drive is very pretty .

Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

May take up too much time but Hartz National Park is really lovely and close to Tahune Air Walk. Also If you go back via Woodbridge, Fleurties cafe and sculpture trail highly recommended. And I agree with you Rob about Egg and Bacon bay. Beautiful!

6. Re: Huon valley drive from Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:17