We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 days self drive holiday Hobart to Hobart

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
13 days self drive holiday Hobart to Hobart

Hi guys,

My wife and myself are hiring a car in Hobart on December 26 this year and are looking at driving around Tasmania starting and finishing in Hobart. If anyone can share their experiences with us in regards to great hotels, sights to see, shopping, walking trails and out of the way scenery, that would great.

Kind regards,

Steven and Jayne

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Lily & Dot
Gift & Speciality Shops, Lessons & Workshops
The Rare and Beautiful
Flea & Street Markets
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,484 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 days self drive holiday Hobart to Hobart

Hi Steve,

Have a look at the "Top questions about Tasmania" at the link below, you will find lots of great information about where to go, what to see, do & eat -

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255096-i887-Ta…

At that time of the year, you must pre-book your accommodation and car hire, as you know it's a very busy time of the year. You'll be in Hobart towards the end of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race, the Taste of Tasmania starts on 28th, you got New Years Eve, so affectively every man and his dog will be there.

I wouldn't call Tasmania a shopping must do, but you'll find many smaller places have great specialty stores, one of a kinds.

Things like walks, have a look at the Tas Nat Park 60 great walks - http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1315

And you'll find most of Tasmania's out of the way walks everywhere, check the link out.

Great hotels, depends on your budget, just check Wotif and other web sites like that, maybe Booking.com, they'll also give you an indication of what's getting booked out.

Your main must do, is pick your driving course, a full circuit can be easily done in the time you have, research the heck out of places, book your car and accommodation, and you may have to, if it's your type of thing, tours like the Tasman Peninsula Eco cruise, now that's a must - http://www.tasmancruises.com.au/

Hobart, Launceston, and Cradle Mountain will be busy, so get looking and booking, and don't forget the car, some have, and arrived with no car available.

Safe travels - Robert

Mentioned in this post
Taste of Tasmania
Taste of Tasmania
113 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,678 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 days self drive holiday Hobart to Hobart

Hi,

These links below may also assist you - my experiences in Tasmania recently & over many visits to Tasmania... love Tassie !!

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i20250-Trip_…

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i38962-Swans…

My favourite places -

Hobart / Port Arthur / Bruny Island / Mt Field National Park / The Franklin - Gordon Wild Rivers National Park

Freycinet National Park - Swansea / Coles Bay / Bicheno

Queenstown / Strahan - Gordon River cruises / Cradle Mountain / Launceston

My must do's - Cradle Mountain / Freycinet NP / Bruny Island / Port Arthur / The Franklin - Gordon Wild Rivers National Park

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
3. Re: 13 days self drive holiday Hobart to Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16