We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

I was hoping to get some help on planning an anniversary weekend away early in 2010 (yes it is early but I like to be prepared!).

We have stayed in plush hotels and resorts to celebrate anniversaries and the likes before, but this time we are looking for something a bit different. We are looking to stay and experience somewhere other than a 'standard' 5-star hotel in the city.

We are looking for somewhere that is still very comfortable (eg not a tent or caravan), that provides the opportuinity to be spoiled and/or pampered, but we also want something and/or somewhere that is interesting/intriguing and definitely more unique than we have stayed before.

We are happy to drive somewhere within 2 or so hours of Melbourne. Budget will be around $250+ per night.

Can anyone help us out with a suggestion or two?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

We enjoyed our short stay at http://www.tuki.com.au/

my review :

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g952021-d942…

Its close to Daylesford for dinner..www.sault.com.au or at www.mercatorestaurant.com.au/

or you could stay at the lovely Lake House or Samadhi Spa in Daylesford.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

What about a "back in time" weekend in Echuca ?

I stayed at the Steampacket Inn right in the historical precinct and it was so lovely (with a smashing breakfast!.

In the middle of the historical precinct there is a restaurant Oscars that rivals any city fare I have tried and has a lovely view of the Murray.

And the paddle steamer cruises are just lovely and romantic.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

The accomodation at the Peninsula Hot Springs should be open in November as part of the expansion, so could be an option for you. You would need to contact them to get details though: http://www.peninsulahotsprings.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

Thaks for the suggestions. We have been to Swan Hill quite a few times before so that one is unlikely.

Tuki looks alright and I'll check it out further, the same as for the Peninsula offering.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please share them!

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

I find this use full lots of great ideas a list aselect range of quality self-contained accommodation, luxury B&Bs and romantic getaways in Victoria .

Weekend Retreats presents a small collection of unique accommodation which has great appeal, whether it be for a fabulous setting, stunning views, indulgent trappings, stylish or romantic rooms, or simple, peaceful seclusion.

http://www.weekendretreats.com.au/default.htm

some of my favs are

Japanes Mountain Retreat

big blue backyard

Balinese Retreat

Boroka Downs

All would fit your need

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
156 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

Have you looked around Halls Gap? Superb rugged scenery, quiet during the week, lots of walks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

We do love the Grampians region and we have travelled there previously before. I like the look of Boroka Downs though...has anyopne stayed there previously? It will take us more than 2 hours to get there though as we are from the Eastern sub's of Melbourne. Not sure if the missus will be up fro that.

Some of the other options look alright too. Appreciate the help and advice. If anyone else has any other ideas please feel free to send them through, as I'm sure they will help others as well.

We have plenty of time up our sleeves...

Kinglake, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

Hi Red, my parter & I were shouted a weekend away from our friends because we survived the fires and they sent us down to the mornington peninsular! We stayed at Lindenderry (which is a 5 star place)& went wine touring. A maze garden is nearby & the Redhill market is amazing..there are great places to eat (some 4 & 5 star). Also dont forget that there are mineral hot springs down that way too! I've heard great things about that place....

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

I highly recommend the Macedon Ranges! We spent some time at Cragielea Mountain Retreat - only 3 suites and in the middle of no where! Beautiful scenery, you can see to Melbourne on a clear day, and only an hour away. Not far to drive to wineries, etc, and Hanging Rock. We felt truly pampered, and cant speak of it more highly

www.visitmacedonranges.com/accommodation

Kinglake, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A weekend away with a difference - any suggestions?

oh oh..I've thought of a nuther place..

japanesemountainretreat.com.au/pages/main.ht…

I know its in montrose but it looks to die for....

or...or..

http://www.balineseretreat.com.au/main.html