We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Hi, We're visiting from England next December and need your valuable imput please. We will be in the Melbourne/G.O.R. area from 23rd to 30th as my beloved will be watching England v Australia Cricket Test on 27th and 28th Its my choice where we spend Christmas. So I need to get accomodation booked as I know from booking Sydney for next NYE things get taken this early. So this is where you lovely experts come in. We love the Sea but would Melbourne offer more? I know its our choice, but as Melbourne?GOR is totally unknown to us, give us your thoughts please.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Well it depends on your likes and dislikes a bit I suppose. You will be having a warm Xmas, so there are many options. Our weather in December can range from cooler days of 20-25C right up to very hot days around 40C, so be ready for anything....most likely it will be warm to very warm.

The city itself is really busy right up to the 24th with people finishing work and Xmas shopping, so there is plenty to do in the city. After the 24th, the city becomes much quieter, although you do have Boxing Day sales and the like. It can be a really nice time to be in town as the crowds are gone and Melbourne in sunshine is appealing. With the Ashes being on, I am sure there will be a whole load of Poms with white bodies burning across the town :-)

The beachside areas take on a huge transformation over this period. The early birds will be down in mid December and are joined in small droves up to Xmas Day. The main horde will arrive from Boxing Day on and the small towns will fill up dramatically. If you wanted to go there from Dec 23rd to 26th, you would find towns with moderate crowds and would drive home against the rush on Boxing Day but it will be a lot quieter than Melbourne. Water is still a bit cold but nice for wading and even swimming if the hot weather has arrived.

Seaside towns to choose from would be Apollo Bay, Lorne or Torquay, maybe Port Campbell but it would be a lot quieter.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Thanx Willnino,

A great reply and since putting my post on here I have though,t as a kid - a load of years past - it was always the thought of WOW Australians have Christmas day on the beach! So Ive been checking reviews on Lorne and Appollo, does this mean Ive made the best decision already?

My next question to you would be, I guess most cafes/restaurants will be open Christmas day as its your summer holidays and a major time for visitors? I'll be hunting out Seafood places to book for our Christmas meal, with hopefully a gorgeous Ocean view.

Hey and less of the 'white bodied Poms!' Us 2 Poms will have gently browned bodies and be ready to cheer our Ashes winning lads on ;-) lol!!! Cheers, perhaps see you at the M.C.G

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Well no will know you are Poms then :-). It is a horrible sight to see the holidaying poms flock to a warm summers Boxing Day test and bake in the sun. You have the right idea if you are going to brown up nice and slowly as our sun will cook you very quickly in December. They have to put up an extra sightboard at the G when the Poms are playing, keeps the glare off the Aussie batsman as the pommie supporters wait till then to take their shirts off....haha.

I am never down at places like Lorne or Apollo Bay on Xmas Day but I think they would have limited venues open. Pubs for instance will probably open for dinner but there are a lot of holidaymakers already there, so there will be some places open. If you got a nice unit or house with a deck, you could buy up supplies on the days prior and organize your own Xmas lunch.

Lorne pub would be a great venue and I would suggest contacting them now and asking for a window seat/table if they are open on Xmas Day.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

One disturbing thought though busylizzya....We are going to the UK in June and I have thought about catching up with the Ashes, which means they are being played in England. So......there can't be Ashes being played in our Australian summer???? Had to check this as it seemed odd you would be making a mistake like that and found out we have back to back ashes. There you go!!

"AUSTRALIA and England will play back-to-back Ashes series' as part of the new future tours program agreed by cricket's world governing body.

Australia will tour England during the English summer of 2013 and then will do it all again Down Under in the Australian summer.

The back-to-back Ashes schedule is a result of Australia hosting the World Cup in 2015, when the return Ashes would normally be played."

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

Oh yes my beloved is a cricket nut who travels 3 hours from our home to 'The Oval' in London (his old home!) to watch regularly. The final and deciding game is the end of August at The Oval and HE WILL BE THERE! Then a few months on we'll be 'Down Under' watching in Melbourne and Syndey. Oh how amazing is that? Ive visited before but Oz is new to him we are so looking forward to it and then 'Doing NZ' Thanks for your help

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

yep Will it's a double bunger

Lizzy book soon especially on the GOR..

7. Re: Christmas 2013 Ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:17