We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Hi again everyone!

Since my first attempt to build an itinerary for our 4 weeks road trip around the state of Victoria several months have passed. In the meantime we have booked our flights to Melbourne and reserved a hired car for the roadtrip. We will fly into Melbourne on Tuesday 28th of October 2014 and stay in the city the following two nights. We won't have to worry about accommodation in Melbourne, as we can stay at some friend's house in Richmond. After these two days in Melbourne we will start our roadtrip, which will take us around the state of Victoria and a small piece of N.S.W. in about 4 weeks time. So far I made up the following itinerary for our road trip:

Sun 26th - Tue 28th of October: flight from the Netherlands to Melbourne, arrival around 7.30 am

Tue 28/10 & Wed 29/10: Melbourne, picking up the rental car late in the afternoon on 29/10

Thu 30/10: Melbourne - Lorne / Apollo Bay

Fri 31/10: Lorne / Apollo Bay - Great Otway NP

Sat 1/11: Great Otway NP - Port Campbell

Sun 2/11: Port Campbell

Mon 3/11: Port Campbell - Warnambool

Tue 4/11: Warnambool - Halls Gap

Wed 5/11 & Thu 6/11: Grampians NP

Fri 7/11: Halls Gap - Ballarat

Sat 8/11: Ballarat

Sun 9/11: Ballarat - Moama N.S.W

Mon 10, Tue 11 & Wed 12/11: staying with friends in Moama

Thu 13/11: Moama - Bright

Fri 14 & Sat 15/11: Bright (Mt. Buffalo & Alpine NP)

Sun 16/11: Bright - Bairnsdale

Mon 17/11: Bairnsdale - Wilsons Promontory

Tue 18 & Wed 19/11: Wilsons Promontory

Thu 20/11: Wilsons Promontory - Philip Island

Fri 21/11: Philip Island

Sat 22/11: Philip Island - Sorrento (Mornington Peninsula)

Sun 23/11: Mornington Peninsula

Mon 24/11: ?

Tue 25/11: Sorrento - Melbourne, drop off the rental car around 5 pm

Wed 26/11: Melbourne

Thu 27/11: Melbourne, flying out to Dubai around 10.30 pm

Fri 28/11: arrival back home in the Netherlands

To keep our expenses as low as possible we plan to camp with a tent our Australian friends will borrow us.We might splurge every now and then though, hiring a cabin or taking a motel room instead.

As you can see, we will be somewhere along the GOR during the weekend preceeding Melbourne Cup. As we learned in another thread of mine here on Trip Advisor, that campgrounds can be hard to find during this long weekend, we will probabely book ahead for those days. We might even have to consider reducing the number of campgrounds we will stay at, as there might be a minimum stay in effect during this period. If we would have to do so, what would be a good, centrally located place along the GOR?

You might have noticed, we still have an extra day we didn't fill in yet. Where would you spend this extra day? Are there any places we should add to or skip from our itinerary? We would really appreciate your feedback on this itinerary. Thank you!

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

sounds fun and yes pre booking would be very wise though id suggest most people go away that weekend who have their own cabins etc and might only go if the weathers promising (its been hit n miss lately) Try and do blood on the southern cross whilst in Ballarat (or the Rat as we know it)

Thu 13/11: Moama - Bright

whilst youre in the NE of Victoria Bright is lovely though this time of the year not so popular and i'd consider day trips (under an hours drive) to Beechworth which is a lovely town with some nice attractions and if you're into food and wine try Brown Brothers in Millawa which is close.

The alpine roads a great and winding drive Bairnsdale is low key so consider trips to gorgeous lakes entrance and highly recommend popping into Paynsville and ctaching the shunt to the island where theres a plethora of koalas in the wild

http://www.visitpaynesville.com.au/

enjoy and drive safe

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Thank you for your excellent tips joancollins69!

The blood on the southern cross show in Ballarat sounds like a lot of fun. We will see, whether we can fit it into our itinerary.

We will certainly consider a daytrip to Beechworth while in Bright. We've heared from different people now, that it is a nice little town and certainly worth a visit. Whether or not we will be able to make it there will depend on the weather as well. If the weather is good, we might prefer doing some hiking or scenic drives in the national parks around Bright. If views are limited though, a side trip to Beechworth might just be the perfect way to spend our day.

Bairnsdale wasn't ment to be a destination in itself. We just need a place to sleep, in order to split the long drive from Bright to Wilsons Promontory in two parts. But we might as well continue to Paynsville or Lakes Entrance for more interesting / beautiful place to spend the night. And seeing koalas in the wild sounds like fun too.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Would it be a good idea to spend our extra day in the Lakes Entrance / Paynesville area?

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

I would yes, the weather might be conducive to swimming, youre from cooler climes so it might be more then fine for your nordic blood. check out lakes entrance toursits site for tips (cruises and pub meals etc) theres lots of nice little towns that way but more for antiquing and cafe-bakery visits. do your best to see the koalas and going to lakes enterance would be slightly back tracking from Bairnsdale but if you add a day youll be fine http://www.metungtourism.com.au/

also there and nice place, i like Paynsville for the koalas , boats, good eateries and laid back - slightly less commerial than lakes enterance.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

+ 1 for Beechworth (regardless of the weather) and for using your spare day to go to Lakes Entrance.

You will find that over the cup weekend most places will have a 2-3 night minimum stay. Where you should stay really depends on what you want to see and do.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Thanks guys! With so many votes for Beechworth I will certainly try to add this place to our itinerary. Maybe we could travel from Moama to Beechworth and continue to Bright the next day?

Our extra day will probably go to the Paynesville / Lakes Entrance area. Although used to a cooler climate swimming in cold water is not really our cup of tea either, but we like things like hiking, beach combing and watching wildlife. So we will definitely go for the koala's near Paynesville.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Along the GOR we plan to see the usual highlights, such as the 12 apostles. But we would also like to do some outdoor activities such as walks / hikes in the national parks and maybe some wildlife viewing. I read somewhere about an excursion in Great Otway NP to see platypus. Has anyone done this before?

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

No sorry, there is a platypus encounter at melbournes healsville sanctuary where you can wade with a creature and even tickle it, if that takes your fancy. moma to beechworth would be a drive, i'd consider a morning or afternoon trip from bright to beechworth though if staying over night you could consider a ghost tour.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Thanks joancollins69! I have another question for you. I had a closer look at the sound and light show Blood on the Southern Cross in Sovereign Hill and it looks very interesting. On their site it says, that you have to book the show in advance. Do you have any idea how far in advance we have to book for this show? We also consider to buy a combined ticket for the show and the day entry to Sovereign Hill, but I wondered whether you have to visit the museum and the show on the same day then? As we will be in Ballarat Friday afternoon and the entire Saturday, it could be interesting to do the show on Friday night and to visit the museum on Saturday. Do you think that's possible with the combined ticket?

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 4 weeks roadtrip in Victoria (2. attempt)

Youd have to ask soveriegn hill , i only did the blood experience, its pretty popular with schools and id suggest it wouldnt sell out, but its always wise to err on the side of caution...i have a feeling theyre offer overnight accomidation there so you might consider that too. theres a nice little native fauna park in ballarat too where you can hand feed the roos and theres a little tour thats fun and you meet some of our beasties up close and personal. im an animal rights supporter and this place scrubs up well and takes injured animals, the cafe is affordable too for devonshire tea.