We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a fair reaction...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a fair reaction...

I have wondered all day whether to post this on the forum or just do a review.

GD is riding the Grand Fondo in September in Lorne. It coincides with me having a week off work so I thought I would take a few days and drive the Ocean Road etc and coincide my stay in Lorne with the race thing. Being just me a BnB makes perfect sense.

I emailed LorneView BnB and asked about accom for one and got this reply… (never said i was riding or there for the Amy ride)

>>Sorry but we are closed whenever there is a bike ride on. I have had bad

experiences with bike riders making bookings, then canceling all the time,

sometimes by email the night before, so it is easier just to be closed.<<

Is it just me or does it seem a bit biased? Do they also block out bookings for Pub to Pier? Are they really closed? Seems quite odd for the number one ranked BnB on TA to have such an attitude..

Isn't there a simple solution… charge the full rate on booking like all the others do? (BTW the others are all fully booked)

Mentioned in this post
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

It's a little bit strange isn't it ... why not just say "we are closed that week" or something like that ... or as you said take a nonrefundable deposit like anyone else does.

It's all a bit whiny and leads you to think they aren't happy doing B&B's which is a very specialized field and something one has to really love doing ... generally.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,591 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

That's not the most graceful correspondence I've ever heard, and certainly a poor assumption by the owner that you are with the bike crowd. What makes it even more bizarre is that it isn't even based on something bad like previous property damage.

If every hotel were to close based on late cancellation or No Show, there would be no accommodation industry at all. They should simply implement as you suggested, a prepaid non cancellation for special event periods.

As for feedback, I'm not sure if you'll achieve anything by writing to them, and I'm not sure I would want to help them by offering any feedback to be honest.

But that's just me.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

Seems a bit strange that they would deliberately close on busy weekends - so now instead of missing out on revenue from a few no shows they are missing out altogether. Hardly good business practice.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

It is certainly an extreme reaction. Strangest of all is to have explained their reasons for closing in such detail. Seems like a rather passive aggressive sort of approach. I mean the reasons are irrelevant to you if you arent a rider. And if you are then they have to know what they are saying is likely to offend.

Nothing to do but shrug and move on. Better you know you arent welcome than stay and likely feel uncomfortable. If they feel strongly enough about riders to consider closing during a peak period it seems likely you would have heard about it during your stay.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,191 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

Of course it's silly, but that's the world of B&Bs. Micro-businesses don't have to be sensible or reasonable.

And the obvious way around the problem for the B&B is to take a hefty deposit and write a webpage with an onerous cancellation policy in it.

Anyway, you are entitled to write a review about your "customer experience".

Edited: 01 April 2014, 08:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

Thanks folks.

I thought I was being a bit over sensitive ;)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

Another POV is that the owner had absolutely no idea that you were connected with cycling and made a very poorly worded attempt at explaining why she was closed for the weekend.

I have relos in the B&B business who also close on weekends when they know that particular 'undesirables' (in their experience) are in the area. Not cyclists in their case but parents visiting offspring at a particular exclusive boarding school for 'parents weekends'. If their website simply says 'closed' they have been known to get abusive phone calls from the DYKWIA parents demanding accommodation.

I would agree with others that a simple statement of 'No vacancy' would have sufficed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

No eva…

I might have worn that if the reply had said closed but inferentially it said…

no bike riders….

I wonder if i rocked up on the day if they would take me as a blow in..

9. Re: Is this a fair reaction...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:15