We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmstay near melbourne

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Farmstay near melbourne

Hi,

Am planning for a farm stay with my base being in melbourne. I've checked all the websites available or at least i think are available but i can't find one that has good and maybe, cheap farm activities. Are there any that offers activities like herding sheeps, and helping to peel their wool, and feeding hay to horses, and riding them and i don't know. I'm quite puzzled as to what farm stays offer but i'm looking for a stay where i can experience farmers' lifestyle and be able to be a farmer for a day by doing things that aren't just relaxing or feeding or cuddling animals. Any help is appreciated thanks a lot!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

Have you emailed any to ask more specifically what they can offer you ? Plenty listed on the Vic tourism website

visitvictoria.com/regions/Grampians/Accommod…

<<<and helping to peel their wool, >>>>> Well you wont be doing this - very painful for the sheep. We prefer shearing !

Generally "farm stay" refers more to the "staying" bit - being accommodation - and just being out in the farming region etc.

If you have a working holiday visa then you can consider WWOOFing http://www.wwoof.com.au where you can actually work on farms in return for accommodation.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

One of the Melbourne posters recommended this place last time http://www.fawcettcottage.com.au/ . It does appear that they have quite a number of farm activities to choose from but they're about 1.5-2 hours from Melb though. When are you coming? If it's in Winter, then this place might be ideal as you can combine it with a visit to the Yarra Valley region (good food & wine), visit to Healesville Sanctuary and a trip to Lake Mountain for snow play.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

Or the Bellevue Farmstay . They have great reviews on Trip Advisor tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g1893259-d18…

Not sure if it's too far though but you could combine it with a trip to the Great Ocean Road? Hope this helps.

Cheers, BB

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

This one is about an hour train ride from Melbourne. www.sevenhillstallarook.com.au/farm-stay

I'm not sure what you mean by being a farmer for a day. There are many types of farms and farmers. Dairy farmers get up at the crack of dawn to milk cows and then again in the late afternoon. Crop farmers only sow and reap their crops at certain times of the year. Sheep farmers would drench and shear (not peel) their sheep at set times. All farmers would have maintenance tasks throughout the year.

Farm stays are aimed at tourists to give them a taste of non-city reality, not really about asking you to don gumboots and help birth a goat or muck out the pens.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

Hi Gary, We live in a rural area just 2 hours from Melbourne. My husband Dave and I own the Romantic Vineyard. We do not have farm animals but we have sheep and cows in the paddock next to us. We also have chickens that lay eggs and kangaroos in the yard. We own a B&B called Romantic Vineyard. If you are interested you can check us out on www.romanticvineyard.com. We have great food and a beautiful relaxing setting. Talbot is the closest town to us and there is a lot of gold mining still going on around here. Lot's of history and historical sites. Hope you have a wonderful visit to Australia.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

Vina, self promotion is not permitted on TA.

7. Re: Farmstay near melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:16