We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

East Coast Car Rental - Tarmac Drv Tullamarine - watch out for this company they will hit you up for a $1,000 fee on your card no matter what which takes 2-3 weeks to go back on your card .. The staff are very aggressive & not friendly at all. The insurance is expensive with excess reduction fees.. take photos of your car at the start of your rental & the end as they will hit you up for Petrol even though you filled it up. They have "ludicrous" fees and policies & variety of “unfair” practices.. Find someone else with better service & not dodgy contracts.. trust me stay away..

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

Pretty much all car hire places and hotels will put holds on your credit card. Standard practice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

but $1,000 held for 3 weeks is just rediculous

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

"rediculous" (sic) you may think it is. But perfectly normal it is also. Read your fine print.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced aggressive and unfriendly staff - you'd think that all hospitality and travel-related staff would be trained for all situations (whether it's the customer's fault or the company's fault)

In regards to the 3 week refund, I'm afraid that it is quite standard for companies in Australia to quote that a refund will take 'up to 28 days'. Although you may see some refunds come through faster, the terms and conditions are generally 28 days (4 weeks) and in the case of international credit cards, they may take even longer.

Thanks for reminder re taking photos of the car prior to renting and the info on petrol. These hints (plus many others) have been shared on Trip Advisor . Here is the link should anyone wish to read it - 'Things to Consider when Renting a Car' - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g25509…

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy

I'd be annoyed too with a $1000 hold and not getting a refund for 2-3 weeks after returning the car. We had 6 car hires with various companies throughout our 6 weeks in Australia and the only one to charge a hold was Thrifty - it was $250 and it was refunded within a couple of days of returning the car. We only used the majors (Budget, Hertz, Thrifty) and Apex.

Reply to: East Coast Car Rentals - Dodgy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted