We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol

Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Petrol

Hi, we're planning to rent a car when in Melb.. Wondering how much gasoline needed from central melbourne to Great Ocean Road (Twelve apostle) and back ? what is the rate for parking per hour?

thank you

23 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,693 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol

How much fuel you need depends on the distance you travel and the car that you rent. You can find fuel prices for anywhere in Victoria here: https:/…fuel-prices.html

The price of parking depends on where you are. It's expensive in Melbourne city centre and mostly free in country towns along the GOR. Read the signs on the poles beside the roadway to learn what yopu need to do and how how long you can stay in any place.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol

Well if you’re planning to do this in a day, you need to take the inland highway straight to Port Campbell spend 3-4 hours around there and drive back via the same route, bypassing most of the GOR. By that route you’d probably do about 500km all up. That’s almost a full tank of fuel so depending on what vehicle you get, anywhere from $60 to $100. Fuel is about $1-50 a litre at the moment. I don’t recall any parking fees at the 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, London Bridge etc.

You may be better with a tour, you’ll see more and not be as tired driving back to Melbourne. If your doing a multi day trip, fuel use would, of course, be a lot more.

All the best

Edited: 11 December 2017, 07:39
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol

Around trip from Melbourne to the 12A via the GOR and returning by the princes highway is over 550k can’t be done safely in a day and needs at least one overnight stop with preferably 2 or 3 overnight stops for a relaxed trip.

There are plenty of service stations along the route I expect you will need to top up once and when you return the vehicle depending on the fuel consumption of the vehicle. Most modern vehicles have trip a computer showing average fuel consumption and distance you can travel before refueling.

One other question when are you planning to do the trip?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol

Hi.

Melbourne on street parking -if you can find it - is timed in the day. There are many clearways that limit hours further. It is about $5.50 an hour. Parking lots are up to $65 a day. Pick up your rental car only as you leave for the GOR

Cheers

UF

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol

When are you coming?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
922 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol

Hello

Most people rent 4 cylinder cars and most have a tank around 70 litres which will give you 700 klms or more of travel on average.

Cheers

Oz
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol

Hi,

There are plenty of petrol stations along the route. You won't go hungry or thirsty either.

Cheers,

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petrol

You need to tell us more information. Such as, when you mention parking rates, are you talking about Melbourne city or GOR? The GOR is 240kms long and then you need to travel another 100 kms just to get to it. What is your itinerary?

Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petrol

Parking in melbourne cbd and GOR..

Ive found that if i park in flinders gate carpark (i will be staying around flinders st) entry after 4pm and exit before 6am its only A$ 10 except for friday its $14

If its true then i might be renting a car.. but if its like $5 or $6 per hour well it'll be too expensive

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petrol

Do you really want to be up and walking to your car at 5.30am on your holidays? Flinders St is a fairly long piece of road, so I'd want to be sure I was staying at the right end. Also that the car park is not full when you arrive.

You are restricting yourself with these parking hours. Could you not pick up your car rental on the way out to the GOR? You do not need a car in the CBD.

Cheers, UF

Reply to: Petrol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted