We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

Hello TripAdvisors!

My husband and I will be arriving in Australia in a week (very EXCITED!).

We will be starting our trip in Adelaide where we will spend a night's rest, then take the ferry to Kangaroo Island where we will spend 3 nights.

After that we will be heading to Melbourne, and later on Gold Coast and Sydney.

We will be spending four nights around Melbourne. We're not really interested in Melbourne city (sorry!) but would like to do the GOR and Phillip Island.

My main concern is which to start off with, GOR or Phillip Island, and where to spend those 4 nights, especially in regard to our travel schedule coming into and going out of Melbourne.

We initially planned to start on Phillip Island and spend a night there, then take the Mornington route to GOR the next day, but we worry that it would be too much travelling on one day, since we'd start that day very early to catch the 7.30am ferry from Kangaroo Island.

Itinerary:

Sun 28/1: Catch the early 7.30am ferry from Kangaroo Island (already booked) then drive 120km to Adelaide airport (ETA:10:30am). Return rental car and catch 12:55 plane to Melbourne. Arrive Melbourne at 2:45 PM and pickup rental car. Go to where?

Mon 29/1: ???

Tues 30/1: ???

Wed 31/1: ???

Thu 1/2: Depart Melbourne Airport on 3:20pm flight

Our main interests on GOR and Phillip Island are wildlife and scenery, and I have some mobility issues that would prevent me from walking more than 5-10 minutes at a time. So anything that we can visit by car or via a short walk would be perfect.

Your help is gladly appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

If you arrive at 2.45, allow 40mins for picking up bags and getting hire car you are entering the start of peak hour and this would mean I STRONGLY advise that you avoid Phillip Island as you would be hitting peak hour on the Monash Freeway and that would be hell. I would suggest heading straight down to Geelong and spending your first night there. Then head out early along the GOR to Port Campbell or 12 Apostles and return to Apollo Bay. Then drive from there to Queenscliff and take the ferry across to Sorrento (car ferry). Cut across from here to Phillip Island and avoid Melbourne traffic altogether.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

I agree with everything above, it wouldn't be any fun to battle the traffic down to Phillip Island on your first day. Much better to head to Geelong and onwards to the Great Ocean Road.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

Think they have the right of it, but can I suggest you do the GOR backwards?

Sun 28th - overnight Geelong.

Mon 29th - drive inland via Colac to Tower Hill, visit Port Campbell NP, o/n PC.

Tue 30th - GOR, o/n Lorne.

Wed 31st - GOR, head for Phillip Island, o/n PI.

Thu 1st - fly out.

It's generally faster to get to Phillip Island by driving through Melbourne rather than taking the ferry. Also, there is (wild) pelican feeding at San Remo daily at noon. Might just have time to watch that before heading out to the airport on Thursday.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

The itinerary in #3 seems perfect, but may I ask what we would gain by going all the way to Tower Hill and not directly from Geelong to Port Campbell through the inland route?

Forgive me if the answer is obvious, I'm just starting to get to know what's on the GOR.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

The drive from the end of GOR to Phillip Island may be quicker via Melbourne but it is fraught with risks. It is a very busy road in and out (nearly all freeway driving). You would have to avoid peak hour (10am to 2pm). If there is a crash, incident or roadworks you can face heavy traffic. The ferry route via Queenscliff and Sorrento is a lot more scenic, laid back and way less traffic. The ferry travels across the bay, not far from the Heads and I think is one of the most interesting parts of Victoria's ocean areas.

If you choose to go this way I would advise you stay overnight on Day 3 a bit further down the coast from Lorne. You could stay on the Bellarine at Queenscliff or across the bay at Sorrento.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

You said your main interest was wildlife. Tower Hill is a great place to see wildlife - kangaroos, emus, with luck an echidna. https://www.towerhill.org.au

If this doesn't interest you, the skip it and go straight to Port Campbell.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

Thanks for all your advice. Greatly appreciated!

With regards to the Monash Freeway peak hours issue, would that still hold on a Sunday afternoon?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR

No, not a problem on Saturday or Sunday.

Reply to: Help with 4 nights itinerary in Phillip Island/GOR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted