We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

How long does it to drive the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne, and return? What are the must see sights and stops along the way. Can anyone recommend a day's tour itinerary for a self drive? Thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

Hi swdke,

You certainly could drive the GOR in one day...though it isn't usually recommended (atleast by me). Consider whether you are coming straight in to Melb from the US and driving after a 16 hour plus flight, whether you've driven on the left before, what time of year you'll be here (i.e is it likely to be raining?) etc etc

Anyway...there are numerous tour operators as well that offer long day trips. AAT Kings, APT, GrayLine are just a few.

Check out this link to the official GOR website.

greatoceanrd.org.au/…

I like Lorne, Apollo Bay & Port Campbell btw.

HTH, adelaide

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

The drive from Melbourne to Apollo Bay takes about 3 hours non stop, but you really do need to spend more time to appreciate what the GOR has to offer. Torquay has a great beach and is famous for its Surf shops, about 300 kangaroos call the Anglesea Golf course their home and can be seen lazing on the fairways, the view from the Airey's Inlet lighthouse is awesome, Lorne is a delighful coastal town that brings the country to the ocean. With its many cafes (the Arab is famous for coffee and apple crumble) and shops it is a good spot for lunch before you head for Apollo Bay and then further on to the 12 Apostles. A day trip on the GOR is possible ( Melb. Apollo Bay, 12 Apostles and return via Colac) but not recommended unless you are pushed for time. The area abounds in wildlife e.g. kangaroos, koalas etc. so an overnight at Apollo Bay or Port Campbell would be wise. It is one of the great touring areas of Australia. www.visitvictoria.com.au

Haydock, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

My wife and I drove down GOR a couple of years ago.

We drove to the Twelve Apostles down the GOR and returned to Melbourne on a more direct route. We stopped off a few times including having some lunch.

It was a long day and needed some concentration driving back in the dark.

We ticked a box, but in retrospect it would have been nicer to stay over somewhere and savour it a little more.

It's better doing it in a day than not at all.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

Here's another vote against doing it in a day.

Would help if you mention what time of year. Length of sunlight hours, school holidays, etc could be pertinent.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

Hello swdke,

I also would like to see you extend your trip, if possible. Others have given you the websites, so I will just mention the things I like best.

Have a morning coffee break in Geelong down on the waterfront, then take your time along the GOR following suggestions already given. I like Apollo Bay for an overnight stop (everyone has their favourite town) and if you don't want to spend a lot, I can recommend the fairly new and well run YHA hostel there. It is just behind the main street where you have a couple of pubs which do great fish meals. After Apollo Bay you head on to cross the Otway Ranges still with a lot of the original cool temperate rainforest. Do Mait's Walk, along a board walk through a section of the rainforest (I have heard Melba Gully is just as nice, but haven't done it myself). At Laver's Hill you can turn right and follow the signs to the Otway Fly, a privately run tree-tops walk through and over another section of rainforest. Back through Laver's Hill and on to the coast. Almost immediately after reaching the coast (now you are on the Shipwreck Coast) you will see the sign for Gibson's Steps. Don't miss going down the cliff face for a walk along the beach below the massive cliffs. Just a short distance on to the best viewing point for the (no longer 12) Twelve Apostles. Loch Ard Gorge and the little graveyard nearby for the story of the famous wreck that gave the gorge its name. Along to Port Campbell then north to take the inland route back to Melbourne, assuming you have been able to extend your trip to two days.

If, however, you could make it a three day trip, you would go on to Warrnambool (after PC you pass London Bridge, and other coastal formations) for your second night. Here there is an excellent Maritime Museum, which also has a sound and light show after dark. You have to book for it. Just a bit further along the coast is the delightful seaside township of Port Fairy with lots of accommodation and eating places.

The Visit Victoria website you have been given has a Trip Planner site which would be very useful for you to finesse your plans. Good luck!

Calgary
Level Contributor
428 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

You will certainly regret if you try to do the GOR in one day.

My wife and I made it in two days this past November and enjoyed every minute of it.

St. Marys
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

need more than a day, especially if the one day is one where it rains cats and dogs. Plan on stops thruout because the scenery gets more wow the further west you go from the 12 apostles.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

I would do it over a few days. I stayed in Port Campbell last September and forgot what a beautiful part of Victoria it is.

Try this website: http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

Would not drive in one day after talking to friends and others...need at least two days.

My wife and I were looking at one of the 1 day tours and they seemed to go for 12-14 hours with a coach tour...a very long day.

We are seriously thinking of another option that will be about the same price as a coach trip, and if you only have one day may give you the opportunity to say that you've seen the GOR and most sights, a scenic flight that takes you over the areas with photo opportunites...

10. Re: Driving the Great Ocean Road Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 00:16