We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

convert us dollars to australian

melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
convert us dollars to australian

any one knows where is the best place i can get a good rate for the american dollar. i have tried the commonwealth bank and travelex. any ideas. would greatly appreciate it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: convert us dollars to australian

Check at the post office they don't charge a fee. I don't know if the rate will be any better

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: convert us dollars to australian

There are plenty of Exchange 'booths'* - usually operated by chinese and indians aronud Swanston st, Collins and Elizabeth streets (in the area inbetween Little Collins st and Flinders st). These have comparable rates to the banks and most (check) do not charge a commission. And they usually have a good break up of smaller notes. I have used them often to get US$ and never had a problem.

* Usually small shop fronts not much bigger than 4 or 5 telephone booths put together.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: convert us dollars to australian

The rate you see on television at night!!! You will never get that!

Travelex, Banks etc. give you a much lower rate of exchange... and if they charge commission, they make even more money out of you!!

I have taken AUD to US, and if you check out the banks, some do not charge commission to change, however, if you travelling to US, I would suggest you simply draw USD from ATMs there, and use your cc for hotels/purchases... even though your bank may charge 2-3% conversion rate, they give you the published bank selling rate, so you do much better than buy cash/travellers cheques here!!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: convert us dollars to australian

The post office doesn't charge a fee but the rate isn't as good.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: convert us dollars to australian

Hi smiley888

are you want to buy USD to take to US???

Can you expand on your question

melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: convert us dollars to australian

hi everyone,

thank you so much for responding to my request of converting US dollars to Australian. Appreciate your suggestions.

Have a fabulous day

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: convert us dollars to australian

Not sure if I am answering the question but whenever I go to the US I buy my cash on line at Travelex and pick it up 2 days later minimum $250. No commission and it beats the banks ! Presume you can do the same in US ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: convert us dollars to australian

I've done my research for an upcoming overseas trip and I recommend applying for a Wizard Clear Advantage credit card. They have no fees and win out by far. Travelex charge you to top up your account where Wizard don't.

They also don't charge a currency convergance fee which most credit cards do.

It's worth looking into.

9. Re: convert us dollars to australian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 13:16