We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Planner

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Route Planner

Hello, my husband and I with our 3 year old son are planning a 3 week trip to australia in Nov 08. We are flying into Melbourne, want to visit Sydney, Blue Mountains and we are flying out of Brisbane.

Interested in travelling via Motorhome from Melbourne to Blue Mountains to Sydney - any advice if this is a good idea. Are there many motorhome parks along the way?

Planned to get the train from Sydney to Gold Coast to Brisbane...

Is this a realistic itinery - any advice welcome.

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Planner

There are heaps of campervan parks between sydney and melbourne particularly on the coastal route.

Check out www.toptouristparks.com.au/plantrip.asp

This is a trip planner which gives you route info as well as a list of some van parks on the way. These are just the ones under the 'top tourist' banner.

Others are big 4 hoiday parks

big4.com.au/public/holiday-park-finder.aspx

Also look at http://www.vicparks.com.au/ for info on victorian campervan parks.

Just something to give you a start.

Personally I would prefer to fly between Syd and GC. It would probably be cheaper than the train anyway. The train takes a long time and I think on a three week trip it's wasted time.

You could also drive as there are loads of nice places between the two. You could stop a night or two in Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay as examples. Not sure if you'll have the time to do it, it just depends on how much time you are allocating to each leg and the major centres.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Planner

for some ideas on driving from Melbourne have a look at the following tripadvisor Inside Pages

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c6395/Austral…

and

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

Even though this is the reverse dirction it should help,

and

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c79854/Austra…

and

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c4369/Austral…

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Planner

I would also fly between the Gold Coast and Sydney.

With your limited time, I think you will get more bang for your buck spending more time exploring Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast areas.

Hire a car from the airport and bingo!

www.jetstar.com.au/

www.virginblue.com.au/

Have a great trip!

For things to do in and around the Gold Coast see the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route Planner

My family (2 adults, 2 kids) is also taking this exact trip in June but we were considering a regular car and using roadside motels between Melbourne and Sydney. Does anyone have comments on availability or quality of such places? I know recommended routes are all over this site but opinions only, Melbourne to Sydney in June...which is better...coastal or inland?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route Planner

Hi James,

Melbourne in June may not be that pleasant weather wise, expect cool days 12-18 deg C 53-64 deg F with a few 0 deg mornings and hopefully some rain, we're in a drought. So along the coast of Victoria expect the same until you get we'll east, 350Km or so. This is the most scenic way to go, although a little further, you could take a few days to relax and explore along the way. The Hume HWY is boring, most of it is freeway type road and unlike your American interstates the speed limit is a low 110Km/h and is heavily policed by zealots. (Last year I drove from Phoenix to LA Via Las Vegas. You people know how to travel!) You could get to Sydney in a day under at under 900Km/560Miles if you had to, and you might as well because there's not much see. This may start some arguments so stand by!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route Planner

To clarify things a bit, I got a bit carried away with the whole highway patrol thing. I'm sitting back with a cold "VB" now so things are a lot better.

Sorry to hijack your thread Laura.

The Hume Highway is HWY 31, the main trucking route from Melbourne to Sydney, the fastest Route.

The Coastal route is HWY 1 the national route also known as the Princes HWY.

There are things to see on the Hume or short diversions from it, for example there are some wineries and ski fields near Wangaratta if that was your thing.

As far as motels go, nearly every town would have some sort of accommodation available be it motel, hotel with accommodation (generally county motels are of better standard of accommodation than country hotels (pubs)). On site vans (cheapest) or cabins in caravan parks are also an option. Be aware that on site vans are very usually very basic and wouldn't have a shower or toilet.

Laura, The caravan parks along the southeast coast of Australia are great, I have travelled and holidayed along this coast since I was a child. I honeymooned at Pambula Beach caravan park, but I'm a simple bloke. Anyway, They are plentiful and nearly every reasonable sized town will have at least one. If they haven't, it's probably for a good reason, keep driving. If you can keep your motorhome to travel to the Gold Coast you won't be disappointed. The northern New South Wales coast is as good as the south. The road is a shocker though.

Aust
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Route Planner

If I were you I'd fly from Melbourne to Sydney- there's not that much to see on the way between these two cities (unless you visit Canberra).

Instead, I would use the motor home to travel between Sydney and the Gold Coast- it is much more scenic and has a lot more things to do/places to visit (Byron Bay, coffs harbour, newcastle etc.). There are lots of places you can stay along the way in caravan parks (www.goseeaustralia.com.au has a lot of caravan parks listed if you want to check them out).

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route Planner

There is lots to see by driving from Melbourne. Sure the dircet route up the Hume Hwy is a bit boring but if you look at the earlier links I put up you can see by moving off the highway you can visit places like Beechworth, Bright and the Milawa regions or even go thru the Rutherglem Wine area and on to Wagga Wagga, Junee (visit the licorice and chocolate factory), and then on to Canberra and Sydney.

If you go by the coastal route you will see the Vitorian towns like Lakes Entrance, and the wonderful South Coast of New South Wales.

If you go via the Snowy Mountain route vai Cann River, Bombala Cooma you can detour from Cooma to Thredbo, Perisher Valley, Charlotte Pass and the wonderful scenery of the Kosciuszko National Park. You can go from Cooma to Canberra and spend a few days looking at the National Capital.

There are also many other ways of driving from Melbourne to Sydnay such as via Wangaratta, Bright, the Alpine Way to Cooma. I think its a bit rich to say there is not much to see between Melbourne and Sydney if you have not explored the alternative routes

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
512 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route Planner

I have the Rutherglen area on my 'list' but there's a licquorice and a chocolate factory in Junee??? YUM! I didn't know that.............

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route Planner

Have a look at their web site at

http://www.greengroveorganics.com/