We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Hi,

I am looking to plan some tours when we are in Melbourne. I found a tour with Puffin Billy, Healesville Sanctuary, and wineries. The wineries don't interest us at all but seem to be part of any tours in the Dandegong area.

There is another tour that does not include the wineries (1/2 day versus full day) but it also does not include the Healesville Sanctuary. Most of the trip

brochures say "hands on feeding and interaction experience with the animals." Is this true or is this just a zoo with more realistic enclosures for their animals?

Has anyone been there?

Thanks!!

Outback Billy's
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Great Sights Melbourne
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Link Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Acacia Luxury Private Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

We always take our visitors to Healsville and they enjoy the experience. It gives you an opportunity to get close to the Australian native animals i.e. Koalas, Kangaroos etc. The Platypus enclosure is also unique. The animals are in a Sanctuary environement, but when you have limited time and may not be able to observe the animals "in the wild" it is certainly worth a visit. The brochures are true!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Healesville sanctuary is infact a zoo (it is run by Melbourne Zoo) but in a forest/ bush land setting. Most of the exhibits are not in cages but 'open' bush enclosures although some are in smaller enclosure (the snakes for example). Very well done and a nice overall environment. I even enjoy it in the rain.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Zoo
Melbourne Zoo
5,757 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

i went there on my 1st visit to Oz and really enjoyed it ( i'd NEVER seen a kangaroo or koala before). i also did the philip island tour to see the penguins......all 7 of them!!! had to leave when the bus did and apparently we'd gone too early....thousands of them come out of the sea into the dunes, so i missed it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

LOL^^how dissapointing for you tom! better luck next time hopefully!

Missshopper: despite not being a drinker you nonetheless may find something interesting in doing the Yarra Valley combined tour; it is a pretty area and hopefully by May would have got a bit of rain and will be looking lush. Do you know which wineries you would visit? Some are architectural masterpieces and/or have on-site cafes/restaurants. I may be biased as I live literally 20 minutes away but it is a nice area just to drive through even if you're not drinking or - like me- don't know your pinot gris from your shiraz. I'd opt for the all-in-one tour.

BTW Healesville is worth it...& expect rain or atleast cooler temps in May.

Mentioned in this post
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Thank you all!

I seem to remember the name Fergusson for the winery.

My husband will enjoy the tasting!

I have been to the Napa Valley in California and the scenery is beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Another great thing about Healesville Sanctuary is the birds of prey exhibit, where you sit in a stand and the birds skim over your head as they feed them and explain about them.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

Hello Missshopper,

I also recommend the birds of prey experience; check the website to make sure you will be in the right place at the right time. For me, the birds of prey, the platypussary and the animal hospital were the highlights, and my Maltese visitor on the day thoroughly enjoyed the visit. And how could you deny your husband the pleasure of fine wine tasting? Just relax and enjoy the whole day tour. You will be tired at the end of the day, but happy you have done it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

If you don't want to go on a planned tour, both Buffing Billy and Healesville Sanctuary are pretty easy to get to on public transport from Melbourne city. Go to the zoo's website for train/bus information.

You could also hire a car for the day and enjoy the area!!

9. Re: Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary versus other tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:18