We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

hi my son and his mates are thinking of going to melbourne for a w/end, they are flying home with jetstar and leave from avalon,does anyone know how much a maxi taxi for 5 would be in fares from the cbd to avalon ? and has anyone tried the sunbus lateley, how good are they.

thanks for any info

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

A cab from Melbourne CBD to Avalon would be very expensive probably over $150. The fare may even need to be negotiated with the driver, as the driver would then need to make the 45 minute return trip to Melbourne, possibly with no passenger.

Your other option is to take the Vline train to Lara station, then a cab from Lara to Avalon, which would cost around $15.

As you said, Sunbus is the 3rd option. I've never used it though.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

The Jetstar Avalon site shown below lists the taxi fare as $80.00 but I'm not sure how old thois info is as taxi fares seem to go up all the time. I would have thought at least $100.00. The real problem woulsd be if they were trying to get there in the afternoon peak which starts at about 4 and stays busy umtil at least 6.30 to 7. The traffic over the westgate bridge and the first part of the drive as far as Werribee can be horendous and the fare could well blow out to %150.00 or even more.

The suggestion of the train to Lara has some merit except that there are not always taxis at Lara and I have never seen a Maxi Taxi there so they may need two taxis. Whatever way they choose tell them to allow plenty of time as Jetstar are fierce on check-in times.

jetstar.com/au/…transport.html

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

the sunbus isn't bad. it is basic however. my recommendation would be to take a good book or something as the trip to Melbourne CBD is about 1 hour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

If your son and his friends are on a budget then I think the sun bus is the best bet. Leaving from Southern Cross station it's not all that long to Avalon. It's door to door and they won't have the hassle of trying to find a cab and transfer from the station.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

At $19 each I think the Sunbus sounds the most convenient, the taxi cost quoted $80.00 would certainly be for a standard cab so maxi taxi more. Plus taxi drivers from both melb & Avalon dislike the short trips as they have been in a long waiting line & then they have to get back in the queue so short trips are out unless you want to listen to all their gripes (once (& the last time) I had one tell me how mad his wife was going to be with him & it was better for him to committ suicide then face her at the end of the day - I couldnt get out of the car fast enough, I was so frightened (on my own) I didnt dare look to get his name to report him & even told him to drop me off a street away from my destination - similar happened to another couple a few weekends ago going from Avalon to Werribee. ps I understand their gripes re short trips but they should take it up with their company not take it out on passengers.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

Can they book tickets out of Melb instead of Avalon, I have a bit of a gripe with jetstar as I feel they should provide free of charge buses to Melb for their passengers, I often wonder how many unknowing passengers (especially overseas ones) have found themselves out in Avalon not melbourne & having to cough up more money to get into CBD.

7. Re: how much would it cost from avalon to cbd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 04:16