We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days Victoria

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
9 Days Victoria

Hi there... Hope someone out there can advise.

I'm going Melbourne early - mid august and have around 9 days to spare.

We are considering visiting Great Ocean Road, Grampians, Goldfields, Ballarat, Yarra Valley / Dandennong, Mornington Penisula, Philip Island and 1 or 2 nighs in Mt Buller and of cos Not forgeting the city itself.

Wld i b able to see all these places in 9 days? Are there any places i mentioned that is not worth going cos of the weather / season?

Maybe you can also help by advising how many days to stay at which area and oso the best possible sequence of the itinerary ? Thanks in advance.

Rdgs,

Minnie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days Victoria

No, you can't really manage all that in 9 days. Decide which of the towns you really want to visit. Is the penguin parade at Philip Island more important to you than the wineries at Yarra Valley? etc.

I think you might want 3 days in Melbourne, then take 2 days to drive the GOR. Perhaps return to Queenscliff and take the ferry over to Sorrento, and spend a night at Philip Island. Come back via the Yarra Valley.

Or cut out the Yarra Valley, and travel to Ballarat from Melbourne. Spend a night or 2 there, then travel inland to Warrnambool and come the other way up the GOR.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days Victoria

Hi there

Kateoz is right - that is too much to cover in 9 days! And yes, you need to decide if you prefer penguins, or wineries or bushwalks or Australian colonial history before you set your route. To be honest, Phillip Island is really a summer destination, very cold in winter, and unless you're obsessed by penguins, it may be better to see some of the GORoad for 3 nites. The Otway Treetop Walk is really worth visiting. Then say 3 nites in Yarra Valley to do the wineries & go to Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary for your animal experience while your there (and also drive 1/2 hour through BlackSpur Forest to Marysville for an easy walk to the waterfalls), then the balance of your time in Melbourne. Hope that helps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days Victoria

Hello kawaii_minnie,

You have lots of good places/destinations on your list, but I agree with the others that your list needs refining a bit more to save you rushing from place to place. Have you been looking at -

www.visitvictoria.com.au ? Also -

www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

You have listed Dandenong. I presume you mean the Dandenong Ranges (Belgrave for Puffing Billy, Olinda, Sassafras, Sherbrooke Forest for walks, William Rickerts Sanctuary, etc), not the City of Dandenong a bit south of the ranges, which is not a tourist destination, but a former small country town, now swallowed up in Melbourne's extensive suburban expansion.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days Victoria

You have some good information there on refining your trip a bit....a lot depends on your interests. I will just clarify the snow part of your trip. Do you want to just head up to the mountain to see snow and possibly walk around in it....or do you want to try skiing or snowboarding whilst there?

We do go to Mt Buller for 1 day trips but it is a tiring day, especially if you have been skiing all day. A day trip usually heads off at around 5am and gets us up on the mountain about 8.30am, if we stop for ski hire and a bite to eat. Lifts open at 9, so there is no real point in getting there any earlier. If you go for more than a day, you need to plan in a lot of driving for your trip up and return day....so a 1 or 2 night stay can take up 3-4 days, if you follow what I mean. It is great staying on the mountain, especially if it snows while you are there.

The benefits of staying are that you can sleep in a lot longer than you can for a one day trip, you can pop "home" for lunch or a rest at any time, etc. Lifts are the only way to get around (you can walk but it is tough work) on the mountain and they aren't cheap, so you need to consider how best to maximise your lift tickets as well. Good luck.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days Victoria

Depending what time you arrive in Melbourne, try this

itinerary

Day 1 Phillip Island and O/n.

2 Drive through some of Mornington Peninsula to Sorrento, catch Ferry to Queenscliff. Drive through Ocean Grove onto Great Ocean Road route staying o/n at Apollo Bay.

3. GOR and turn inland at or just beyond Port Campbell to Camperdown or Terang. o/n.

4. Ballarat - Sovereign Hill- gold town and evening show,Blood on the Southern Cross. o/n.

5. Back to Melbourne to do city sights coach or relax. Arrange coach tour to snow for next day.

6. Mt Buller. back to Melbourne for o/n.

7. Dandenong ranges and maybe some of Yarra Valley. stay o/n. en route (lovelly B&Bs scattered throughout).

9. Back to Melbourne,see some special places. o/n.

Miss out on Grampians.

This is winter time and can expect cold, wet, windy weather, so slower driving on twisty roads. Especially along the GOR. And the Gandenong Ranges. Daylight hours short - 7.30 am. to 5pm at the latest. Not much fun driving in the dark.

You will need to plan your route well in the Ranges as the road twists so much in places and not always easy to find signage. to make certain you are still going where you want to go Stop and ask for help.

6. Re: 9 Days Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:20