We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne or Sydney???

Essex
1 post
Save Topic
Melbourne or Sydney???

Hi

I'm flying out to Oz on 26th December but cannot decide where to end my holiday?

MELBOURNE or SYDNEY????

HELP!

thanks

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

Both are good for different reasons. What are you other plans and what sort of things are you wanting to do?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

i am so not getting sucked in this time!!

sydney
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

If you don't know I'm afraid I can't tell you. Have you been to the library and read up? I concur with the previous poster who didn't want to get sucked in and suggest you base your decision on the opinions of other visitors from overseas. You know, they've spent a couple of days in each and are very well informed.

I would choose Sydney every time (and I'm not a local) but there could be something about Melbourne that suits you to a T and just doesn't interest me.

Best of luck.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

I suggest you read this...

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2419140659

hehehe

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

Dear LOL11: As a previous poster wrote, it depends on how you want to end your holiday. Do you want to spend most of your time at a beach, shopping for last minute souvenirs and seeing a world famous icon (the opera house)? Then wind up in Sydney. However, I just came back from there a few months ago. I've been there a few times already and it's my personal opinion that Sydney has lost a bit of the plot. It seems to have been slowly taken over by foreigners who don't know how to treat visitors correctly, i.e., their customer service habits are in dire need of improvement. Many of them seem calculatingly rude. Sydney seems to be losing its "Australianness", as it were. And it's looking a bit shabby around the edges, but has still retained its physical beauty, esp. near the coast.

Melbourne on the other hand, I know well. I lived there for several years in the past and this time I was very pleasantly shocked at how it has lost its dark, dreary and dingy air and has become lighter, its old Victorian buildings wonderfully updated, its new buildings cutting-edge without being over the top

or in bad taste. I especially loved Federation Square--a great place to hang out, people watch, shop for books, look at art, etc. Southbank, which is across the street and sits on the Yarra River, is another great place to hang out. Melbournians act happier and more sophisticated, and they sure do dress better as well. One gets the sense that it hasn't lost its Australianness yet.

Melbourne's beaches were never something to write home about but you can try St. Kilda and Williamstown for starters. Both suburbs attract artists and have good places to eat and shop after your swim. ("Holy Sheet" in St. Kilda is GREAT!!)

Well I hope this is some help to you. If you still can't make up your mind I highly recommend Lonely Planet (based in Melbourne, by the way)travel books. Get one on Sydney and one on Melbourne, read them thoroughly and decide from there. Good luck!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

I don't "get" your question at all. Why end? Where else are you going and are you visiting the other city at all? Give some information. If its just a debate on one v the other then I too am not getting involved.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

do both....then you will be able to compare the best and second best.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

I feel like this is probably a s***stir but I will gladly answer...MELBOURNE! My guess is it'll be Sydney though...

Townsville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

I prefer Melbourne to Sydney...hands down...but am wondering why you can't do both??

Bucks
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne or Sydney???

Well, where are you flyimg to on Boxing Day?

How long do you have to spend in the country?

Surely you can manage to fit both cities in - I would say they are both unmissable?!