We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Ballart

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to Ballart

Is there fast transportation between these two cities? (train or bus?)

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

There is a regular train service from Melbourne (Southern Cross) to Ballarat. For time tables see

http://www.vline.com.au/index.aspx?sid=0

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

Agree with BigW. Melbourne to Ballarat is easily travelled by either bus or train. Train is the easiest and fastest. It takes about 1hour 20 minutes and is less than $15. Also, if you want to drive it, there is a freeway between the 2 cities.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

V-Line have an off-peak fare which you can take advantage of if you are not departing Melbourne weekdays between 16.00 and 18.00.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

I have a time share in Ballart (Worldmark, already paid) but I'm more interested in visting Melbourne. But will not have a car. So, I'm torn... do I stay in Ballart and travel to Melbourne or do I bite the bullet and stay in Melbourne... some of the train departures are at 6:55am... a bit too early for me! I'm planning 4 days to see the GOR, Mel and maybe Phillip Is.

The Melbourne hotels I've seen are in the $100+ range... how safe are the hostels?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

Worldmark in Ballarat is about 4-5km from the train station so you'd need a local bus or taxi to get to/from train.

Personally, I'd stay in Melbourne if planning to visit Melbourne. But Ballarat is interesting in its own right.

6. Re: Melbourne to Ballart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 23:23