We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
398 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Hi

I am in the final stages of planning our trip (my husband and I with our 3 year old son), and just wanted to get some final advice on the route/timing, for our 3 day 2 night stop along the GOR early nov.

Thoughts/opinions on the following route, times and things to do would be apprecaited:

2/nov depart melbourne for Apollo Bay via Geelong, stopping at Torquay, Bells Beach in the morning, stopping for lunch at Lorne and then onto Apollo Bay for our overnight stay.

3/nov depart apollo bay after breakfast head to Cape Otway , Otway Fly, Otway Lighthouse. Head to Port Campbell (accom booked so no change can be made to this stopover)

4/nov visit 12 apostles, Loch Ard Gorge/possible helicopter ride - back to melbourne for early flight to Palm Cove next morning.

Any comments welcome

Laura

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Looks pretty good. There are some worthwhile waterfalls a couple of km behind Lorne and an excellent lookout above the town, so a brief detour off the main road at lunchtime in Lorne is worthwhile.

You may be able to fit in 12 Apostles etc on the way to Port Campbell, in which case I'd suggest a detour thru Warrnambool to Tower Hill just the other side on Day 3.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

I tend to agree with tthe above. Your second day seems pretty quite open while your last seems rather packed (since you are also needing to drive back to the city as well it is a long day).

Tower Hill is a good place to see koalas and emu. Last time I was there there were 5 or 6 koalas in the trees surrounding the carpark (how convenient) and emu wandering all over. It's an interesting mini 'Jurassic Park' of sorts but whether you think it's worth the drive is dependant on your interests.

It's a shame you don't have the extra day to detour up to the Grampians NP which is only slightly more than a one hour drive from Tower Hill...but another 4 to Melbourne going through Halls Gap (and that's without stopping). Maybe next time ;-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Seems pretty good to me. I assume you will drive back to Melbourne via the shorter inland route?

One small suggestion to experience a great Aussie tradition. 4 November is Melbourne Cup Day, and the cup itself should be run at 3.40 (check the papers to confirm). Try and stop at a pub in one of the towns along the way at about 3.00 and watch the race and just enjoy the atmosphere & excitement.

Also on 2/11 a brief stop at either/both Jan Juc and Point Addis would give some great beach scenery for a few minutes detour.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

You might like to stop at Aireys Inlet and have a look at Split Point Lighthouse, which is just a short distance off the main road.

Keep an eye out for koalas in the trees on the road out to Cape Otway Lighthouse (and cattle on the road).

We did the flight with these guys and absolutely loved it. You can get a souvenir video of your flight.

http://www.12ah.com/content/skycam.php

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

I think your itinery looks pretty good too.

I'd also add a stop at the Anglesea Golf Course to view the many kangaroo's they have hopping around. They are very cute and well worth the stop.

Cracks me up how un-phased they are by the flying golf balls. :-0

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
398 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

This info is really valuable thanks I will incorporate this into the route. Any of you heard, been too or opinions on any of the following accommodations in Lorne. (its proving hard to get a 1 night stopover in AB) Sandridge Motel or Lornebeach Apartments? There doesn't seem to be anything on TA about them.

Ta

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Hi Laura, it is going to be difficult those days to get accom all over in Victoria. As Aussie John has mentioned the Melb Cup is run on the Tuesday and it is also a public holiday in Victoria. Nov 1st is also a huge racing day with 120,000+ at Derby Day, also at Flemington. So many people take a rostered day or sickie on the Monday and make it a long weekend.

As mentioned the kangaroos at Anglesea are a nice attraction, just on the way out of Anglesea is the best kids beach on the surfcoast (in my opinion). It is called Point Roadnight and you get to it after you pass the climb and lookout on the road out of Anglesea. It has very gentle waves, a great sandy beach and nice rocks and rock pools that you can wander around with your little fella.

Keep the weather in mind as well, you should give yourself the option of seeing the 12 Apostles and surrounds on either day, the 3rd or 4th as the flight and walks onto the beach are more enjoyable in kinder weather. We can get cold snaps and storms around Cup time, so keep an eye on the weather reports. Will

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Laura, not sure if you have time in Melbourne as well but thought I would pass on this experience from yesterday. My cousins boy (think that makes him my second cousin) flew in from Larne in Nth Ireland. First time travelling anywhere outside the U.K. He is 19, so I am depending on my nieces and nephews to entertain him in the dark hours :-)).

He arrived at 6am, so we suggested he keep on the move and we headed into the city. I asked him what his no.1 attraction was and he mentioned the Rialto Tower (he has never been in a building over 2 storeys high). The Rialto has been joined in the high rise lookouts by the Eureka Building and I have recently taken some interstate friends there. I gave him this info and he asked what my preference was. I picked the Rialto....they both have super views but the thing that tipped me towards the Rialto was that the Eureka has the Skydeck but they take those photos and then try and flog them to you....I hate that, they do it a lot on the N.Z adventure attractions and the photos can cost nearly as much as the attraction itself.

Just thought I would mention that to you and to fellow Melbourne posters, not sure what others think about the two towers and the skydeck photos.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
398 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Hi again,

Hope your well. Thanks for the info on the Rialto and Eureka towers, our accommodation is opposite the Rialto towers so that works out very well indeed. I’m sure he enjoyed himself and was kept well entertained :-)

We arrive into Melbourne at about 1am on 30 Oct, so I think we will catch a few zzzz’s and get up early to start the day. Any suggestions on what we could do that day that wouldn’t be too taxing would be appreciated. We are really looking forward to being there when the Mel Cup is on and were lucky enough to have booked our accommodation for Melbourne and GOR well in advance (there are some benefits to being organised, I’ve been planning our trip since March!!) now only 7 weeks to go!!!!!

What is the best time of the day to visit the Rialto towers, best view/atmosphere?

I know what you mean about the whole ‘photo’ thing. They did that recently when we were in New York, you feel quite tight-fisted if you don’t buy it (we didn’t though because as you mentioned, it was going to cost more than what we paid to get in!!)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with 2 night 3 days on GOR

Laura, interestingly enough we were offered a second visit later in the day (free) if we chose to do so. With this in mind and you guys staying across the road, you should venture up around noon and then if you have time or the desire, pop up again around sunset. I haven't done it at Rialto but did that on the Eiffel Tower and the view as Paris's lights came on and the sunset was fantastic. Melbourne might not be Paris but that would be my plan.