We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne CBD

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne CBD

Hi all

I will be visiting Melbourne for 3-4 days from April 30th onwards. Although it will be a business trip, I will have a few mornings/afternoons/evenings free to see the city and my wife will be with me during those times. At this stage because we wont have any entire days free, Im thinking that we will probably just wander around the CBD and "wing it" regarding what we see. Im definately visiting Federation Square (hey...Im an architect, what can I say :)) and we'll be checking out galleries and markets. The wife will be looking at shopping (for example she loved the Queen Victoria building in Sydney) We'll be staying somewhere on the southbank (yet to be booked) and intend using only the city transport.

Ive looked thru the forums and "googled around" but maybe if a Melbournite has any recommendations about just chilling out around the city (nice cafes to kick back, shops to appease the better half, etc) I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne CBD

The City Circle tram is a good place to start, it's a free tourist tram that does a loop (both clockwise and anti clockwise)around the CBD, running at pretty regular intervals. You can get on and off as you like. It goes along Spring Street at the "top" of the city, past Parliament House, Treasury, the Windsor hotel etc., right down to the new developments in the doculands precinct. Look for the maroon coloured old style trams. This is not a bad way to get your bearings somewhat.

The Queen Victoria Market is a worth a wander around. One of the best things to do in the CBD is just wander and explore the laneways and arcades.

The Immigration Museum is very good. At Fed Square is the Ian Potter Gallery, also great.

Anyway, just a start from me... no doubt others will chip in with much more.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne CBD

Oops. "doculands" = docklands!

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne CBD

Here's the link to the City Circle tram --

metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/…

From this site, you can click through to the rest of the Metlink site, which gives details of the public transport system which we (that is, Melbourne residents) think of as being fairly user-friendly, especially the trams (compared to, if I may say so, Perth's buses which seem to go at great speed in all directions - altho' the trains are better than those in Melbourne, now that I think about it!)

-- G

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne CBD

LOL Gat - Melbs public transport is an absolute dream to us Perthies.

AJK - as an architect you will love Feb Sq - and I think also the way Melbourne has preserved the old and complimented it with the new - in general in their entire CBD. And there is lots of street art - even in the middle of the roads.

And something you wouldnt do in perth - check out the alleyways ! They decorate theirs with art and incredible "proper & legal" graffiti. Or they put cafes in them ! There are still some you wouldnt enter - just like here - but what they have done with so many is just lovely.

If your wife liked QVB - send her to Block Arcade. She will love it. Explore Melbourne Central too - its a bit of a shock to us Perthies use to just "hay and Murray sts" as to how much you can put in a complex in the CBD !

I find Melb the most pleasurable city CBD to walk around and look upwards. Such lovely buildings.

Foodwise - I always head out to Lygon St for pasta, and Brunettis for dessert. And had no complaints with any of the places in the Crown complex that I tried out.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne CBD

Thanks for the comments people...got a few more things to google now. Sounds like Melbourne is very user friendly. Last time I visited was 25 years ago(!) and then it was pretty rushed. This time it'll be at a casual walking pace.

Perfectlyperth - Im tipping that while Im looking upwards at the building facades, the wife will go inside looking at adding to the credit card balance (eek!) Oh well, at least I can write off some of the trip on my tax. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne CBD

Here's a couple of websites with info on things to do in Melbourne: http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

The City of Melbourne website is updated with what's on info, so closer to the date you can check out special events: www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx

The Ian Potter Centre is at Fed square & has some great exhibitions of Australian Art: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/

Loads of great shopping around Bourke Street Mall, including the GPO & all the great arcades.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne CBD

I second the Block Arcade - one of my favourite places in Melbourne.

Top end of Collins Street has some lovely shops too (east end)

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne CBD

ellen - I was just searching out a shopping map of Melbourne on the net when your post "popped up". One of the websites you suggested had a link to the very thing I was looking for! Thanks muchly:) Now my wife will be happy...and that makes me happy LOL

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne CBD

As well as the tram there is a free bus which travels in a wider circle than the tram taking in Lygon St, Sports Museum, Botanical Gardens, Nat. Gallery of Vic..

Tour of either St Patricks, or the C of E Cathedral on Flinders St. opposite Fed Square.

Pick up self guided tour of historical and architectural tours in CBD at Fed Square. .

Catch the ferry to Williamstown for more Victorian architecture and the old morgue!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne CBD

If you're into Markets, the South Melbourne Market offers a night market on Fridays.

Don't forget to check the Docklands too.

St Kilda is worth a visit.

All these places are pretty accesible via the tram network.