We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
75 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

I really need your suggestions as I've read heaps of trip reports and plans, here are some options I've come up with!

Option 1: late afternoon (business in the morning) on the 23/04 hire a car and drive from Mel to Lorne. O/N in Lorne. What would we miss driving in the evening?

24/04 drive from Lorne to Wanambool with all the usual stops, apollo bay, cape ottaway, 12 apostles, london bridge, etc. O/N in Wanambool

25/04 drive back from Wanambool to Queenscliff and catch ferry to Sorrento and then up to PI for penguins. (?how long of a drive from Wanambool to Queenscliff if we do inland hwy?)

After penguins we have to drive back to Mel to catch and early am transfer to Sydney on the 26th

OPTION 2: 24/04 Leave early from Mel to Warnambool with all stops in between

25/04 Wanambool back to Queenscliff, catch ferry to sorrento and then up to PI again leave after penguins to catch early flight to syd

OPTION 3: drive down to PI late afternoon on the 23rd (I am only worried that we may miss the penguins depending on what time we get away from business. What time is sunset in April?) o/n in Newhaven.

24/04 Leave Newhaven take ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff. Queens to Warnambool with all coastal stops. o/n in warn

25/04 Warn back to Mel catch late transfer to sydney

So, I'm eager for any and all suggestions, even if you think I'm nuts and have a better plan that would be sooo helpful! Thank you thank you to all for taking time to answer my inquiry.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

Without knowing what time your business stuff finishes, I will guess it is going to be around 5pm, then Option 3 really won't work as it gets dark around 6-6.30pm. The other thing you need to factor in, is peak hour traffic....it can add 30mins on to your normal trip, moreso if you don't know your way around that well. So it really means heading to the west coast, either Lorne or Warnambool. I am a fan of Warnambool and often advise people stay there but in your case, I would suggest you only go as far as Port Campbell.

Most of us normally advise driving the GOR from Lorne to Port Campbell due mainly to the lookouts, etc being on the left side of the road, it is also the best direction for passengers, as all the views are on one side of the vehicle. But you can do it easily enough going the other way.

The winner is....I think you can go with Option 1 or 2 (staying in P.C would be my only change) but if you had to pick one, I would go with Option 1 and drive to Lorne directly. You can go the quick way but following the main road out of Geelong and rather than turning off to Torquay or Anglesea, you follow the Colac road till you see the Deans Marsh turn off. Take this road and it will bring you directly into Lorne, the inland route. Do the rest of your itinerary as planned, leaving for Queenscliff from Port Campbell...this will take about 2.5 hours....see www.whereis.com for directions. There is an alternative scenic route that would take you through Barwon Heads and Ocean Grove and would not be much longer, maybe 30mins.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

Hello nvrdull,

The sunset time for April 23 is 17:44 in Melbourne according to a weather site I looked at, so at Phillip Island (a bit east) the time may be a minute earlier, but that will hardly make any difference to you. It's just a guide for you, anyway. If your meeting means you won't get away early enough - you need to allow a good two hours to get down to the island by the time you get to your car then negotiate your way out of a strange city - then perhaps you should consider Option 2 and go direct to Warrnambool. You don't want to be driving along the winding Great Ocean Road with late afternoon sun in your eyes on all those bends, some of them with sheer drops onto the waves and rocks below. Keep it in mind that the GOR is not good for driving going west late afternoon, or east in early morning because of the sun. OK if it is dull, of course. Also, there are often warnings on these forums about the dangers of hitting animals, particularly at dusk, but also pre-dawn, which is not good for you or the animal concerned.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

So nvrdull, do you have a bit closer time for the end of your morning business meeting? And is this for 2009 , the end of next week.?

Friday 24th.... end of the week...25th is Anzac Day.... so lots of people will be on the road.

If you can leave Melbourne before at least 3 pm. - 2pm. would be better. then take option 3. There will already be, at that time, the beginning of peak hour build up.

Penguins will be there at dusk, so you would not miss them.

Have you booked any accom? could be difficult.

On the GOR section the option of accom is inland along or close to Princes Hwy. if there is nothing along the coast.

If you are pushed for time there is no need to travel as far as Warrnambool. The scenic cliffs stop a few kms. west of Port Campbell.

Warrnambool does have a bigger choice of eateries and accom, plus there is Flagstaff Hill and their Laser show which is well worth a visit, if time permits.

Warrnambool to Melb is 3 1/2 hours along the Princes Hwy..

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
75 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

BIG thanks to all three of you! I wish I could take you along as my personal guide. You have all given me good pointers...much appreciated! 3 days til we leave!!!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

You can check out www.bom.gov.au for weather updates. So far next week is fine but I see the wind is coming up on the 23rd, so there could be a cool blast coming through for the 3 days you are here. Here's hoping it stays fine for you as any time we get rain mentioned, it just tends to fizzle out. You will have to pardon the smiles on Aussie faces though if it rains, as we are in all sorts of trouble at the minute with our water supplies and gardens.

One other thing for you to have a think about. The 25th is called Anzac Day here and is a huge day on our calender. It is celebrated here with a dawn service held in the city, as well as suburban and country (RSL) locations. It is a day of rememberance for our (Aust and N.Z) soldiers who have fallen in the various wars. If you see any of the football games on television during your travels, you will see the Anzac ceremonies before the Saturday games. If you can catch the start of the Essendon Vs Collingwood game which starts around 2pm, the playing of the Last Post and minutes silence before the game is a very moving experience. Good travels.

6. Re: Itinerary help! for GOR/PI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 20:19