We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mornington Pensinsular to phillip island

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
mornington Pensinsular to phillip island

We are staying at peppers moonah links resort and I want to take my husband ove rto see the penguins one evening. I went as a little girl and loved it. We will have a hire car, so what is the best route and is it worth going to Phillip Island for the whole day? Any suggestions for Phillip Island and/or Mornington Peninsular would be welcome. (things to do, places to eat, wineries; we have a preference for reds)

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mornington Pensinsular to phillip island

There is only one route really- get yourself up the Franston -Flinders Rd, then turn onto Dandenong-Hastings Rd (which is just after the city side of Hastings on the left hand side), then turn left onto the Baxter-Tooradin rd and follow through to the Sth Gippsland Hwy. Follow this alone until th einterchange with the Bass Coast Hwy and follow that until the Phillip Island turnoff. Once you have got on the Sth Gipps Hwy - it is easy to follow as all signs point to Phillip Island (if you end up in Korrumburra you have made a wrong turn -lol). Anyway - once on the island there are also signs to the Penguin Parade. One of the things i enjoy in Phillip Island is walking along the surf beaches- very bracing and wild.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mornington Pensinsular to phillip island

There is a great winery on Phillip Island called the Phillip Island winery. Wines are pretty good and the setting is excellent about half way between the Grand Prix track and Cowes / or the penguins. Very nice place to stop for a light lunch and tastings.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mornington Pensinsular to phillip island

It is not difficult to spend a whole day on PI, there is a tourist info centre just over the bridge on the left and worth a stop, you can then plan the day according to your interests. We live on the peninsula near Mt Martha most of the year and one of our favorties is Crittendens at Dromana, good wine and excellent restaurant. The peninsula does Pinot the best and there are so many wineries around Red Hill, T'Gallant is great but they are all very good and worth exploring. Other favorite spots on the MP are Cape Schank, fantastic views from the lighthouse, Portsea and the national park old fort tour including Cheviot Beach where Harold Hold dissapeared. Sorrento has some good restaurants and you can catch the ferry over to Queenscliff with or without the car for some dolphin spotting and a great counter lunch at one of the hotels. Arthurs Seat has magnificent views, great maze and gardens and a good restaurant. Flinders is a sleepy little town with a famous bakery and great beach. Overall there is as much or as little as you might want to do, enjoy this beautiful part of the world.