We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road by vline ??

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road by vline ??

Hello Folks,

I am running out of time and money both :(

But I don't want to miss GOR before I fly back.

Seems VLINE offer cheap deal for 52$ return fare.

Southern Cross <-->Warrnambool

Travel in two steps....

1) Melbourne, Southern Cross to Geelong Station by VLINE coach

2) Geelong Station to Warrnambool Station by VLINE intercity.

Seems all the spots are in between (Geelong Station to Warrnambool) i.e

a) Anglesea for Kangaroos at the Golf Club

b) Kennet and Grey Rivers for Koalas

c) The Lookout, Melba Gully, Otway Fly.

So I would like to know does this VLINE intercity service which runs between Geelong Station to Warrnambool stops at these tourist places? If so do they wait for good enough time?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road by vline ??

There's some great info on this recent post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k3016…

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road by vline ??

Unfortunately for you I do not think the coach actually stops at any of the places you mention.

a. The coach from Geelong Station to Apollo Bay is a regular public bus and doubt very much that it would go into the Anglesea Golf club to check out the kangaroos.

The coach from Apollo Bay to Warrnambool is a special V-line coach which only operates 3 days per week.

b. You may see the koalas at Kennet and Grey Rivers if you are sitting in the front off side from the driver ie the left . hand side of the coach. This is the best side for ocean views so make sure you can be allocated that seat when you buy the ticket. don't think the coach will actually stop there. But ask the driver if you do happen to see a koala up in the tree.

c. Again doubt if the coach stops here. Melba Gully is a 10-15 minute return walk into the Gully from the car park. Otway Fly is about 38 kms return from the GOR turn off at Lavers Hill.

But for your money it is still worth travelling on the Vline Tour.

Kangaroos and koalas can be seenelsewhere.

Melba Gully is a fern Gully and has/had some very lage trees, but the best time is night time to see the glow worms. The GOR winds its way through fern gullies, so enjoy without the walk.

Otway Fly is a walk amongst the treetops. Don't know if it's any better than the treetop walks in Western Aust., Tasmania, or Queensland. . You only see a bit of green under your feet on a swaying walkaway! Not meaning to denegragte the Otway Fly, but after a while they are all much of a muchness.

When do you fly back?

Have you checked out the YHA site - www.yha.com.au for their tours of the GOR?

3. Re: Great Ocean Road by vline ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 05:19