We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roughing it out at the airport?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Roughing it out at the airport?

Hi

I'm planning on arriving back in Melbourne at 1am and my flight to Sydney is at 6am. Considering its only 5 hours and it takes an hour to go anywhere, would I be able to wait it out at the airport until my next flight? or is the airport completely shut and i'd be on the street for 5hrs?

Is there anything open 24hrs there?

Cheers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

This should answer all your questions and more:

www.sleepinginairports.net

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

You should be fine, there are heaps of chairs around the international check-in area that people are always sleeping in. Subway definitely & I think Maccas & Burger King advertise themselves as 24 hour restaurants.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

Melbourne is a 24 hour airport. It does not close.

Kate, that is an interesting site. Thanks.........

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

Do you have any money?

Why not get a cheap room (well they are all cheap) at the Formule1 hotel on the airport property (its about a 10 min walk from the terminals). The reception is unmanned I think at that time of night but you use a ATM sort of machine to register and it issues a PIN number to access the hotel and room. Better than sleeping on a steel bench.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

Andy makes an excellent suggestion. You'll see how close the Formule1 is from the airport interactive map --

melbourneairport.com.au/Flight-Passenger-Inf…

If you zoom in, you'll see it's just to the right of the Business Car Park. It's closest to the Qantas domestic terminal but certainly walkable from any of them.

-- G

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

May I ask why you are arriving back in Melbourne at 1am?

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

Airasia flies back from Kuala lumpur to melbourne at 1am.

I'm sorta on a budget. and I thought that for a 5-6hr wait, its not worth the $90 room.

but if the airport is open 24hrs, then i guess its ok. any shelter will do.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

I've been out at the airport as late at 2.30 am & as early as 5am. Its no great drama, there are lots of people around. You will be able to check-in an hour or more berfore your domestic flight and by the time you get through immigration & customs you're down to probably 3 hours. A sandwich & coffee at Subway will take up much of that, I personally wouldn't worry about a hotel room.

9. Re: Roughing it out at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2010, 05:16