We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to eat in the city

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Good place to eat in the city

Hi All,

Need to organise a meal/drinks for group of about 20 people who are coming in from overseas. All staying central city so any suggestions for a good place for a drink/catchup then a meal (nothing fancy or high priced)

Thanks

EJH
Melbourne
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to eat in the city

allo allo

there are tons of places,but the first one that comes to mind that isnt too expensive is the pub at crown.

It is modern/contemporary looking with good value food. I have been to work functions here for 20 people and it has gone very well.

They have a special room for such functions or of course you can just have tables suitable for 20 people.

Crown i guess is a good place to take international guests.

The pub at crown have a website

www.thepubatcrown.com.au

Another place is Transport in federation square for drinks and upstairs at the Taxi Dining Room (contemporary japanese and Australian cuisine and wine by the glass etc)

www.transporthotel.com.au

Hope that helps, to get more ideas perhaps let us know an approx per person price you are looking at...

cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to eat in the city

Thanks for the suggestions EJH

I found the portland hotel the other day which also has the brewhouse nextdoor for drinks so have booked there.

Prices seem good circa $20 for a main, haven't heard much about them so hopefully its ok.

Perfect location to, corner russell/lt collins

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to eat in the city

Hey,

If you're looking for something a bit different, there is an all you can eat yum cha restaurant, Dragon Boat Palace, which runs during the day for about $17 per person.

Its the usual yum cha/dim sum thing, with trolleys coming around. It is generally pretty quiet, and there is definately room for 20 people.

Its on Lonsdale Street, about 2 doors up from russel

Hope that helps

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to eat in the city

We had a lovely lunch at Docklands in April before we watched the Dees flog the Doggies across the road.

It was the last restaurant on the right,can't think of the name,but i had the best steak in years there.