We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

Ok, I am 17 year old Australian who is currently on exchange in France returning very soon. Thing is my host parents gave me 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of rum for my family back home. This totals 2.25 L the legal amount however I do not know if I have to declare it, which I wouldnt due to being underage. So the question is, Once i grab my bags off the carousel and proceed to the nothing to declare do my bags get xrayed again?

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

no u don't have to declare that amount of alcohol BUT as u r under age u r not entitled to that duty free allowance. so u run the risk of being caught. there is no "nothing to declare" line now. u get interviewed in a single line by aqis/customs and they make the decision on whether u go for customs inspection and/or a bag xray.

i look forward to seeing u on the border control tv program.

Victoria
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

Hmm I thought that you could just exit if you didnt have any "Yes's" ticked on your customs card..

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

We're Americans who flew from LAX-MEL last June and honestly had nothing to declare. We claimed our bags, walked towards the exit, and handed the declaration form to an agent. After confirming we had nothing to declare, they directed us to an exit where our luggage was X-rayed. Being jet-lagged it didn't strike us as odd until later, and an Aussie explained the xray was for customs and not security. So I would presume there will be an xray inspection unless homcoming citizens are handled differently.

Are you traveling with anyone over 18? Can you pack some of their items and have them pack your wine?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

Don't even think about ticking NO if you have the grog with you.When not if they find it not only wil you lose it you'll cop a hefty fine as well.

Think about it a late tenage male travelling alone, you will be a prime candidate for an inspection and if not then they will xray your bag at the very least.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

x ray is for quarantine, not customs.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

I have had my bags xrayed when I have had nothing to declare and not xrayed when I have had things to declare. They make the decision when inspecting your landing card just after you exit baggage claim (I declare things such as no prescription medication bought at a pharmacy just in case).

Its just not worth it - they can be strict and the more so if they think your trying to fool them. If they question you being underage (they may not notice unless you look particular young) just be honest and say its a gift for mum and dad. Given your age they are more likely to be looking to make sure your not importing drugs more than anything else.

Kinglake, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

Is may be a bit of a dur question (sorry, if it is!) but can you not post that stuff home? I know its would be risky with breaking glass & wine etc etc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

As a former 17 year old who spent 2 months on exchange in France, who brought home bottles of wine for the family, I understand your question perfectly.

I declared it, explained they were gifts, and they let me through.

They have more of a problem with you lying on the customs form, than bringing in French wine underage.

Hope you enjoyed your exchange. My 2 months in Marseille was one of the best experiences of my life to date.

Edit: and yes, despite living in NYC now, I am an Aussie and this was through Melbourne airport.

Edited: 19 January 2010, 22:37
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

I agree with lien, the x-ray is for quarantine, not customs. However, I suspect that they are watching for drugs, and probably if they saw a lot of bottles, they'd query the duty-free allowances. The x-ray operator doesn't know your age, because by then your declaration card has been collected (but I suppose they could ask for your passport). The person who collects your declaration card allocates you to a line (for x-ray or not) depending on your quarantine declaration and (I suspect) your perceived risk profile.

Not sure if this helps! But I emphatically agree, it's not worth the risk of making a false statement on the declaration form.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne International Airport and the non declare line

X-ray is operated by quarantine but there is often a Customs Officer lurking in the background watching the Xray as well. The two departments operate closely together and as Gat says Quarantine should inform Customs of items they consider suspicious from a Customs point of view.