We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phillip Island and Penguins

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Topic
Phillip Island and Penguins

Is a trip to Phillip Island an all-day affair? Let's say I wanted to do the Koala Centre and Penguin Parade. What would be a good time to arrive on Philip Island?

Also, what do people know about paying more for the Penguins? There is the Ultimate Tour; Penguins Plus; Private Penguin Parade Experience.

Also, it seems to be cheaper to rent a car than to take a but there, at least form the research I have done.

Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

One more question.

PLanning on doing the GOR SAturday and Sunday, March 27 and 28. Then Monday and Tuesday doing Philip Island one day and Healsville/Dandenong the other day.

I know the Grand Prix is in town that weekend, which I do not plan on attending.

Wold it be any better to lets say do Phillip or Dandenong on Saturday, then the GOR Sunday/Monday, and the other on Tuesday?

Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

I'd recommend taking a whole day for the island (I actually stayed there for two nights). It's really nice! The beaches are lovely. You can also take a boat trip to the seal rocks, which is really cool. There are hundreds of seals, and you get pretty close.

I did the Penguins Plus. It is only a little bit more, and is definetly worth it. You're in a much smaller seating area, and get a closer view of the little guys.

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

thanks. go Blue!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

I might have missed your itinerary in another post but just wanted to point out Dandenong is a suburb of little/no interest. The Dandenong Ranges are where you want to head.

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

Yes, that is what I meeant.

Kendal, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

Hi

Can i ask who you are looking at for your trip to phillip island or can anybody recommend a firm, the wife & i are in Melbourne for 3 days in november & are looking for things to do & a trip to phillip island is on our list. Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

I'm renting a car, so doing the trip on my own

Dubai
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

I also want to visit Phillip island with my family next week.

I explored two options :

1) First easy option is to go along with one day tour & they will take you all the places, cost around 115$ per person.

2) Other option is to take a rent a car for one day (come back to melbourne in night) & go by ourself. But my question are :

Which places to visit in phillip island ?

How to know the way to reach to those places ?

Any suggetions please.

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

From my research here and elsewhere, if you drive, you just park and walk around. Then drive to other areas.

My plans on the island are to see the Penguin Parade and also the Koala Centre. then just walking around and stuff

Dubai
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phillip Island and Penguins

How you will get directions to reach there?

Edited: 18 March 2010, 16:01