We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Hi,

I'm in town for a few days for the F1 and on my free Thursday evening I've snapped up a ticket for the Richmond v Carlton season AFL season opener as I've never seen an aussie rules game or been to the the MCG.

Can anyone give me any info at all about what to expect and who these two teams are?!

Cheers!

Simon

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Expect lots of noise, lots of barracking and complaining about the umpires (don't call them referees). I am sure there will be more than 60000 there.

Food is not that great and expensive, like most sporting events these days. Hopefully it is an exciting match for you. I still remember the 1982 grand final between these 2 teams.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Perhaps listen to both club songs & choose which team to "barrack" for (NOT "root for" that has a different meaning in Oz!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsZEBvXiifo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjz0DM_Gkt4

Brisbane
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

they are long standing traditional rivals. mcg are expecting 73 000. punt road end is the richmond supporters end (southern end). it is also a send off for richmond legend matthew richardson (richo).

go tigers.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

This recent thread had some good advice for first time visitors to a footy match: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k3418…

Have you ever seen an AFL match on TV? It is more fun if you choose a team to barrack for.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

So Simon, imagine me spotting an AFL question to talk about :-)). You are going to see two of the most traditional Victorian teams, which as mentioned means a big crowd. It is the very first game of the 2010 season, so expectations are high with both teams. I would expect to see 70,000 there and there will be lots of fan interest. The MCG is one of the big sporting stadiums in the world and certainly the best and most well known stadium in Australia. Viewing is good all around the ground but I like Level 2, don't like to be too far forward in Level 1 or too far back in Level 3.

Carlton.....The Blues....Royal Blue jumper with a white logo on the front. Sometimes seen as the blue bloods and one of the most successful teams ever in Victoria.

Richmond...The Tigers....Black jumper with a yellow sash and one of my favourite club songs.

Fans will sit together and there will be plenty of cheering.

I will be there on Friday night for the Essendon vs Geelong game. Go Bombers.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Thanks for the info everyone - really looking forward to it. I guess I'll be cheering on whoever the people sat around me are cheering for!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

simon for safety's sake, that's probably your best bet!....try & find someone friendly & reasonably sober to ask for their interpretation of the rules ;-)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

Not sure that plan will work for you, as the crowd will be mixed in together and unless you happen to be in a members area or near the respective cheer squads, there will probably be a mix of both teams. If you want to pre-empt and wear black and yellow, or blue and white, that will make your decision for you.....or go in neutral colours and just jump on the winning teams bandwagon.

Generally speaking, Aussies love explaining their game but like any part of life, there are some who are good at it and others who shouldn't be let loose on the public :-))....hope you find a good one sitting next to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

This game may also be a fizzer!

I am a Tiger supporter so I hope that we turn on a good show for you - but I wouldn't hold my breath things have been pretty dismal the past 30 years!

After the game try and follow the crowd to the London Tavern (especially is Richmond manage to win!) - its on the corner of Richmond Terrace and Lennox St - just heasd for Punt Rd oval and follow the crowds.

10. Re: Richmond v Carlton at the MCG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 06:16