We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Trams

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne Trams

Do we think that Melbourne trams should be replaced with buses?

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Trams

God no. Why??? Every city I have been to with buses only (like Sydney) they have been noisy loud diesel things and what for - to free up the road. Those same buses then get stuck in exactly the same traffic that the rest of us are in (and if you create bus lanes then why get rid of trams in the first place). The bottomline is a tram can carry more than a car- so if road congesting is the problem ban cars from certain areas at peak hours or make more clear zones for cars (and less parking).

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Trams

And anyway - I thought we had this debate in the 1960's when every city has since regretted doing away with trams. Don't say we have to have this arguement with every new generation that thinks they have come up with something "new"

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Trams

hey andy,

if u have been travelling regularly in melbourne trams then i m sure u might be experiencing the delays in their time, and i think it will be more cost effective to travel in buses,

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Trams

This is another silly subject to discuss. Clearly you haven't lived in a city that does rely on buses.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Trams

But how yuppie - the buses will be stuck in the same jams as the cars. Toorak road for instance- would be just as jammed at peak hour whether there was a tram or bus there - its only so wide. But you only have to look at St Kilda rd or Wellington Parade, the trams fly down unimpeded by cars - whereas the buses would be in the same lanes as the tailed back cars???

I take on board your point snodge but unclear whether your for or against buses- could be taken either way.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Trams

The continued existance of trams in Melbourne is just one of the signs of the eminent good sense of the Victorian govt in planning public transport. We're busy considering whether we should be reinstalling a light rail network in George St. Every time I come to Melbourne I find some little aspect of govt where I am impressed and think we could learn a thing or two. Hopefully people coming to NSW can find things too. Hasn't Melbourne been voted one of the most livable cities? I'm sure your public transport has been factored into that assessment.

I am wondering I must say how the delays are judged in the above assessment. Whether it's based on on-time-running stats or just an individual's experience. Do you realise buses are so reliable time wise the on-time-running is calculated on the time they leave the depot. That's all. They don't even bother to check whether they arrive at the destination on time. We've created clearways for buses to help the situation.

..and reliability of the network for commuters aside, the network of trams is such an important part of the "feel" of Melbourne. Speaking purely as a repeat customer tourist I'd be horrified if the Vic Govt was so appallingly silly and removed them.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Trams

..I could even compare it to the NSW Govt bulldozing the Sydney Opera House. Are you crazy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Trams

Do we think this is a travel related post..

perhaps if it wishes to maintain a life it needs to be a little more tourism oriented..

TA will suspend posts (as you know well from TALF Andy).

Personally I think the city circle trams are tourist godsend..free, easy to ride on and get around...

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Trams

As a Melbournian for the first 26 years of my life,i'd have to say the trams are what make Melbourne one of the great cities of the world and my favourite Australian city.

The trams make it so easy to get around the CBD and all up and down St. Kilda Rd. and Fitzroy St.

When i think of Melbourne,i think of the trams and the Flinder's st. clocks.

Don't turn it into another boring city!

Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Trams

Hi,

I have just returned from a 3 week vacation in Melbourne, visiting from Ontario, Canada. A huge part of the charm of your city is the trams. We have them in Toronto but they pale in comparison. They are a huge tourist attraction, I have many photographs to show friends back home, my favourite being the pink tram advertising "Dirty Dancing" which was showing at the time. Why would anyone consider replacing them with non descript buses.