We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Hi,

My husband and I are relocating from Norway to Melbourne next year. We have 3 days over the new years break this year though to fly down to Melbourne and check out some potential suburbs to live in. We are both professionals so would need to live in semi-close to the city for work, however, we have two children who will be 5 and 1 at the time of the move and need to find out which suburbs aren't too expensive but have a good range of schools, parks, facilities etc. If anyone has any suggestions at all, it would be so greatly appreciated!!!! Cheers :-)

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Middle suburbs would prob be good - ones that do come down a bit because there that little bit more out (approx 10 -15klms) but not as expensive as the inner suburbs. Places like Balaclava, Oakleigh, Murrumbeena, Carnegie, Malvern East, Ashburton, Moorabbin, Cheltenham(these are all on the Sth Eastern side of the city as well). Also the closer you get to the beaches the more it will cost.All on train lines and about 15-20 minutes by train from city or same by car.

It also depends on whether you want to buy, rent, if the schools are to be government or private schools as well. Off course the suburbs that have the good government schools are usually a lot more expensive.

When you get an idea of suburbs - try these two websites. They list both rental and for sale properties - just click on Victoria and Melbourne.

www.realestate.com.au

www.domain.com.au

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Opps that should have read' good private schools " are more expensive.

New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Hi I would agree with 6andy6. We have three young children and normally live in Ormond/McKinnon, which is on the train line so great access to the city, 5-10 mins from the beach, local outdoor pools and 10-15 minutes from great shopping at Chadstone and Southland. Our children are 9, 7 and 1 and we have found the public schools in the area to be excellent, there are also many good private schools. We have been away for 3 years and are returning there next week. Cross the Nepean Highway to the bayside suburbs of Brighton, Sandringham and Hampton and the real estate prices are significantly higher. Hope you enjoy Melbourne. As well as the real estate websites mentioned by 6andy6, you might find the Glen Eira Council website useful - gleneira.vic.gov.au

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

This could be answered any number of ways and it would depend where people grew up themselves!

All of the inner city suburbs are pretty safe and close to all the amenities you have mentioned. I agree the SE suburbs are fantastic, I have always lived there, but you will find housing more expensive than the north or west of the city.

That said, the SE and Eastern suburbs are generally a bit safer then the inner Western suburbs like Newport and Footscray.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Hi again,

Thank you all so much for your posts. I really appreciate your help. We will certainly do a thorough drive around of the suburbs you've mentioned when we get down to Melbourne later this month and try and get a 'feel' for them and what they have to offer. It gives us so much to go on - so thank you :-)

I have had a brief look on Domain.com.au and found that the house prices (to buy) are quite high in these areas which I guess I expected, although the rental prices seem surprisingly reasonable. And given how 'unknown' Melbourne is to us, perhaps renting is a wise choice when we first arrive? Hmmm...

Anyway, as I said, your advice is greatly appreciated and I can guarantee it will be used!!

Cheers.

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Depending where your work is in the City,quite a lot of people live in Geelong and commute to Melb (50 min)approx,You are closer to the surf beaches,lovely town and good schools.You can commute by car or train.Prices are much lower here and you will probably have to commute as far the other way from Melb anyway.Look up Werribee or Lara as well.Hope you settle here well

Yorkshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

We are also moving to Melbourne in January. All your answers as to which are good suburbs I will bear in mind. Does anybody have any views on Mordialloc or Seaford as both of these have been reccomended by a friend.

We will probably rent when we get there although we do have 3 children so we need to be near good schools, the beach, and a bit of life for the social side of things.

Cheers

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Hi garyrooke7 welcome to TA.

I lived in Parkdale for some years. It is the suburb on the city side of to Mordialloc.

I still visit there reguarly as I have friends in the area. I was there only a month or so ago.

The best area is on the beach side of Nepean Highway but it is also the prime area and housing costs are higher. The rest of the suburbs are fine.

It may be worth looking at Mentone, which is closer to the city again.

There is good access to the trains at Mordialloc, Parkdale and Mentone to commute into the city and places between. It is about a 30 minute train trip onto the city.The strip between the railway line and the beach in both Mentone and Parkdale is a great residential area.

The area is a great area to love with high quality private and public schools, beaches, good shopping ( there is huge shopping mall in nearby Cheltenham called Southland and good local shops with supermarkets etc), and good sporting facilities etc.

Seaford is a fair way further out of the city and there are varying opinions on the quality of the suburb. There was a lengthy debate on this topic a while back on TA.

Have al ook at whereis.com.au and search on say The Corso Parkdale Victoria to give you a map of the area to start on.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

That should read whereis.com forthe map.

For rental properties have alook at realestate.com.au

Yorkshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Suburbs in Melbourne to Raise a Family?

Thanks bigw. It is very strange but whilst I was visiting TA last night my wife was at the village pub with friends and started speaking to another woman who actually lived in Mordialloc some years ago and was very positive about living there.

It would seem that fate is trying to tell us something I think!!

Thanks very much for all your advice.