We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurants around South Yarra

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Nice restaurants around South Yarra

Hi guys,

Heading to Melbourne in a few weeks. I was just wondering if you have any recommendations for restaurants/cafes around Chapel St? (I've used the TA Restaurants listing in the past, but the one we picked wasn't up to scratch, so that's why I'm asking the forum).

We're staying at the Olsen. Anything that doesn't require a booking weeks in advance, but still with a bit of fine dining would be nice. Any cuisine as well!

I've been watching Masterchef for inspiration. :D

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

France Soir and Da Noi are two that come to mind, both on Toorak road and walking distance from the Olsen.

http://www.france-soir.com.au/

Melbourne
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

I can recommend David's restuarant for higher end Chines cuisine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

If you have been watching Master Chef why not head to the Press Club in the city?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

I'm fairly certain The Press Club has to be booked weeks in advance.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

Hello gk,

If you walk south on Chapel Street past Commercial/Malvern Road (that road changes name at Chapel Street) you will come to the Prahran Town Hall building. This is where a great street called Greville starts. From Chapel Street to the railway line you will pass several good eating places, my favourite being Sicilian Orange and just beyond it is a small Japanese place; I just can't remember the name at the moment. If you had turned right at the Commercial Road corner then left at the first small street that leads down to the two big supermarkets there, Coles and Safeway, you would pass Ice. Diagonally across the carpark and on a corner you would see Babble, always with a crowd, so obviously very popular, particularly with younger people. At that point you are almost to Greville Street. Of course as you walk down Chapel Street you will have passed numberous eating places, so you may not make it that far. The Olsen's sister hotel, The Cullen, faces onto Commercial Road more or less opposite the Prahran Market, just a hundred metres beyond the street taking you past Ice. I haven't tried it yet, but the restaurant there has been crowded since it opened just a few months ago. In Commercial Road further west towards Punt Road you come to Hotel Max. It gets mentioned frequently in lists of superior gastro-pubs. Dotted along all these areas you will find excellent street 'you are here' maps, but the hotel should be able to give you a decent map of the area. There is one available that covers South Yarra, Prahran, St Kilda and I think the Albert Park/South Melbourne area, all worth exploring for more than, but including food.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

Thanks for all your help everyone. :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

The places I mentioned before are more good cafe/restaurants, plus one gastro pub. If you really want a fine dining experience then consider Jaques Reymond - http://www.jacquesreymond.com.au/

You could walk from the Olsen, or with a Metcard catch the tram down Chapel Street then switch to the one travelling east on High Street, alighting at the Williams Road corner, or catch a taxi.

8. Re: Nice restaurants around South Yarra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:18