We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

I am thinking about going to Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road in early September. Is it too cold to visit? I am not expecting beach weather, but want to make sure it's not too cold to enjoy the trip (meaning heavy winter coat and people rather stay inside than going out). Also, is it rainy season? Thanks!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

No, it isn't too cold to visit Southern Australia in early September.

From the Melbourne Travel Guide: "September is the first month of spring, which is the most changeable season of the year. A full range of weather may be experienced within a few days, from warm, calm and sunny to cold, windy and showery. There are several cloudy to overcast days. September is another windy month. Most strong winds are from the north, these often occur on the warmer days. There also are occasionally strong cold southwest winds with showery weather. The temperature usually reaches the mid-20s(ºC) for the first time since April. Nights are cool, frost is fairly rare, and the lowest temperature for the month in the city being about 4ºC. Fog is uncommon. Rainfall is higher in spring than in winter, falling on one day in two. There are days with only a little drizzle or a light shower but heavy rain falls occasionally".

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

Weather on any tour of the Great Ocean Road is unpredictable. It changes constantly along the way. As an example, in January we had a large group do the Great Ocean Road tour with us and they started off with jumpers, then when we reached Lorne they removed the jumpers and went for a swim, then when we reached the rain-forests the jumpers went back on and then came off again at the twelve apostles. Melbourne has the most unpredictable weather in any major city that I have been too and it is often said that we can have all 4 seasons in one day, especially along the Great Ocean Road.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

I dont think answering your question is too easy. Firstly, as has been stated, Septmeber is the beginning of Spring, and the weather is VERY interchangeable. What you find as "too cold" to visit, another person may find as "nice driving" weather.

The Great Ocean Road is litererally located on the southern mainland of Australia and the weather comes up from the southern ocean. It can have a high wind chill factor, or further away from the coast, there could be "dead calm" conditions.

Although early September may be more cool than anything else, I dont believe it will be too cold to visit the area.

Have a look at the weather bureau's statistics for Lorne - which is located on the GOR.

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_090148.shtml

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

Victoria is never too cold to avoid going outside when travelling. However, as others have stated, different people have different tolerance levels of cold. I'd be more concerned with the rain at that time of year than the cold but wouldn't let it deter me.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

Hello evvieSF,

Beyond the GOR, past the Otway Ranges, you come to the Shipwreck Coast, so named for very good reasons. In other words, the weather along there can be wild. This is also the area where you come to the Apostles. Many people love that coast best in wild weather because it can lend an atmosphere of grandeur to it that enhances the scenery. And remember, it has been said that there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing! In other words, you don't need heavy overcoats, but think in layers with a modern lightweight but warm jacket, a scarf and beanie should you need them.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

We find spring and autumn very pleasant for holidays in the southern states, swimming isn't a priority for us but we like it comfortable for driving and for walking including bushwalking.

We spent a week in the GOR area one September. For us it was "nice driving weather", but definitely not swimming weather. I remember the day we walked around the Botanic Gardens in Geelong we were in t-shirts, but much of the time I appreciated having a jumper handy although the menfolk didn't feel it as much (demonstrating that people do "have different tolerance levels"). We all agreed jumper and beanie (knitted hat) were definitely needed on those wild windy cliff tops at Cape Otway and around Port Campbell, but that's part of the experience :-) . We had a couple of days of rain which was a hindrance in some ways but also in a way enhanced the experience of visiting the wild cliff tops around Port Campbell, although we were very glad our schedule allowed us to stay until the sun came out again.

Edited: 02 July 2010, 05:56
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

evvieSF, have you seen this website?

http://www.lightstation.com/

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

evivieSF - the southern states are beautiful in September. You will be able to enjoy all that you do. The evenings will be cool, but the days can be quite warm. Do not hesitate to come to Melbourne - its a great place.

(i will be visiting your city in December so I think I will be very cold!)

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

"Victoria is never too cold to avoid going outside when travelling. "

Oh Braw I would vemantly disagree with that. We can have some horrible days that would make tourist travelling cr*p (as distinct from indoor activities). And on the GOR we can have some bloody horrible cold biting gales blow in that would make sightseeing very unpleasant and 'run out of car, take pic and run back in' type (depending on season).

Bottomline is that September can have the most pleasant mild spring days, it can also have some of the rainiest days. You wont generally get the biting cold days of June and July and sometimes August but you can get some chilly winds - it wont neccessarily be t-shirt weather and it would be wise to carry a jumper/pull over/ hoody.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it too cold to visit southern Australia in September

"Victoria is never too cold to avoid going outside when travelling. "

I'd disagree with that, too!

The coldest I've ever been in my life was an AFL Grand Final a couple of years back. so late September.

We flew down from Sydney, where it was short sleeves weather, and met some seriously bleak Melbourne weather.

I felt like an icicle the entire time.

Having said that, a good wind and water-proof coat should be all you'll need, with layers underneath.