We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

aussiesseetheworld
Level Contributor
139 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

We are two female colleagues are travelling to Melbourne on a Sunday night for Monday meetings at a monolithic tower at 600 Bourke Street.

It's a bit of a treat for us to get out of our Sydney based office and as we're busy mums, we're also hoping to enjoy a bit of luxury - but without a million dollar price tag!

We are fans of the tremendous Shangri-La hotel in Sydney and its excellent Horizon Club lounge, but we are unfamiliar with Melbourne.

We're looking at the Sofitel, Langham and others and wonder if someone with local knowledge might be able to guide us to a good hotel club lounge product that offers value, great service and a bit of old fashioned class at a reasonable price.

While the company's paying for our flights, we're footing the bill for our stay - you might say we have champagne tastes on a beer budget!

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

The Sofitel is an excellent club lounge that takes up one entire side of the buuilding on the 35th floor. Has great views over Treasury Gardens and the East of the city, has a nifty open fire and lots of comfy chairs/coaches. The food presentations are fairly good (but never as good as the middle east or asia). The usual - breakfast (continental with a few cook to order offerings, afternoon tea (sandwiches, cakes, pastries), and evening alcholoic drinks (spirits, beer) and canapes/small bites. Throughtout the day there are free soft drinks, juices and coffee/tea with biscuits.

The Grand Hyatt also has a nice lounge with good views (and it to takes up one side of the building on the inside of the curve facing the CBD). Food offering were not as extensive but still good (afternoon tea did not seem as extensive).

Having said all this - not sure what a Sunday evening is like.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

The 28th. floor of the new Metropol looks smartish, but probably beyond your price range.

http://www.crownmetropol.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,931 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

6andy6 is accurate about the Sofitel.

Its evening spread is pleasant, but I agree entirely that like most Australian hotels it is way below what I can receive in countries such as Philippines at similar standard hotels.

Sofitel Melbourne's evening nibblies are tasty with the range of beers and juices excellent (I am not a wine drinker so you need to ask others).

Why not look on www.needitnow.com.au or www.wotif.com to see their prices: I think a pretty standard price for Sofitel is A$290 but remember, Sunday night can often be a low occupancy night unlike most Saturdays so you may be 'in luck': let's hope so!

Edited: 07 July 2010, 06:00
4. Re: Can I get a classy club room without paying the earth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:18