We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne in April, alone

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne in April, alone

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Melbourne sometime first two weeks of April.

Would you know if it's safe for female tourist to travel alone? Furthermore, I do not drive. Is it easy to get to places or take part in day trips using the public transport?

Any recommended itineraries for a one-week holiday in Melbourne?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Peri :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Hello zhentoutao,

There aren't many places in the world where sensible solo travellers can't go, with the accent on sensible. You will be fine in Melbourne. For public transport information start with - www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au - then search through - www.visitvictoria.com.au - for day trips, etc. When you have found a variety of things that take your interest, come back with more specific questions for more help. At this stage we do not know what your interests are.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Regarding what to do, have a look at the link in the top right hand corner of the Melbourne forum page.

The public transport, especially the tram system, is reasonably user-friendly. Take a moment to look at the Metlink site, especially the tram network map - see

metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/…

Safety - during daylight hours, you shouldn't have any problems. At night time, there are some areas that will be obvious to you which ought to be avoided, such as parks and the night club strip in King St. Other areas have lots of people and are certainly safe, such as Southbank and around the CBD (while the shops are open in the evenings). Elsewhere, while Melbourne is generally a reasonably safe city, let common sense be your guide.

Edited: 19 March 2011, 04:38
Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Hi. Thank you for the replies. Checking out the links to the public transport now.

Really sorry if the questions seemed ill-planned cos it was a very last minute decision to book a vacation in early Apr and so I simply rattled the top two concerns off my mind. Heard from my friends that it would be better if you could rent a car and plan for a self-drive trip instead so I wasn't sure if there were day trips readily available for tourists who do not drive. Nonetheless... I've officially booked for my trip. Really excited now! Hooray! ^^

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Hi zhentoutao,

You will have the best time ever! I often travel solo to Melbourne and in fact will be going again at end of this month. Federation Square has a terrific Tourist Info office which will be invaluable for your tours and interests etc. I have always found Melbourne to be a very safe City and have walked along Swanston street at night on route to hotels. Of course, as said before, use common sense and 'street smarts' and you will be right! Have fun as there is SO much to do there.

mimi

5. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 02:35
Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Dear all, thank you very much for your posts. :)

Would you know if there are tours for The Great Ocean Road, to cater to people who doesn't drive? I was looking at the tour guides and description and would very much like to go. I'm not sure if a cycling trip would be a good alternative? Are there any cycling routes recommended in Melbourne?

I would be in Melbourne for about 8 days and would love to take the opportunity to venture out, instead of staying in the city for the full trip. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. ^^

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

By the way, if I want to pop by sydney, is that too demanding? Are there any trains/ overnight sleeper etc which travels between sydney and melbourne?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

There are quite a few companies which do bus tours along the GOR, which you should be able to book at the visitors centre or through your accomodation. There have been good reviews of a few of the small group bus tours, Go West & A Tour with a Difference are 2 to look at. You can also do a tour to Phillip Island & even to the Yarra Valley (especially good if you like wine!)

If you want to go to Sydney for a couple of days, a cheap flight could be a better option time wise.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

While you are in the city don't miss the comedy festival. There are some fantastic acts on...you can see the famous ones like Stephen Amos, Ross Noble, Will Anderson etc or venture into the smaller venues looking for the "new big thing" :-))

The city streets are great at night and well policed, like anywhere it can become a little more rowdy as you pass midnight but as everyone has mentioned be aware of the hour and your surroundings. The comedy festival crowds tend to be really friendly, so I predict you will have a ball.

If you have any interest in sport venture along to an AFL game. Aussie Rules is extremely safe for spectators and both Melbourne grounds are on the outer fringes of the city, so you can walk, tram or taxi there.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne in April, alone

Dear all

Sorry for the late reply as I was tied up with my daily work and haven't had the chance to start my intensive research yet. Arghhh... but I'm truly grateful for the tips and recommendations. It really helps with the planning, especially when I have less than 9 days to my trip. Thank you. :)

For the time being, I've checked out the day tours to GOR which cost around AUD$120 generally. Was wondering - would you recommend spending a night at Apollo Bay or Lorne, before continuing with the GOR tour on the next day?

I've decided that I won't be going Sydney afterall. Was hoping to catch a dance performance at the Opera House. However, the show timing which coincides with my travel dates have very limited tickets left. Would be keen to find out more about the comedy festival though. Could you share more? E.g. where to buy tix, timing or venue etc?