We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport in Melbourne.

England
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport in Melbourne.

When we are staying just outside the central area for a couple of nights, we intend to leave the car at the hotel and get the tram(?) into the centre and do a couple of walking tours.

Is the public transport system simple i.e. can we just get on, pay and alight at our destination?

Or is it like the Sydney system, which is no doubt brilliant for locals, but slightly confusing and intimidating for out of towners.

Where I live, in the engish Midlands, you can buy weekly or monthly or longer season tickets for unlimited travel on the buses, or pay a small fee for unlimited travel for a day.

Over 60's pay nowt.

Go West Tours
Segway Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Dancing Kangaroo Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Walks 101
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/fares-tickets/

The website above contains relevant information about Melbourne's ticketing system. Melbourne's public transport is divided into 2 zones, of which you will very likely only need a ticket for Zone 1 (which covers the city and suburbs about 10km out). Ticketing is easier than Sydney, as there's only 2 zones to worrry about and you can swap transport as many times as you like within a certain period and not have to pay for extra journeys.

As you are only visiting, there's no point in buying a Myki card, but it is probably worth finding an outlet and buying either a 10x2 hourly, or a couple of daily Metcard tickets that you can use on any mode of public transport. What you

You should know that trams have ticket machines, but they annoyingly only take coins, which can be a pain if you don't have the right change. Much better IMO to buy a ticket beforehand and use it when you need to (it doesn't become valid until you insert it into a machine and validate it).

Remember to validate your ticket each time you travel.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

Re Over 60s - Australian "seniors" pay concession fares (at all times) and Victorian "seniors" get free travel at weekends. But, sorry, these concessions don't extend to overseas visitors!

Re the ticket machines on trams - as already noted, they only take coins (very annoying). But they do give change.

Re the 10 x 2 hour Metcard - this was discussed recently in this thread:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255100-i278-k4…

It's a good deal, so long as you think you'll use it all up! I doubt if a few unused 2 hour rides for Melbourne will be much use to you in the Midlands.

Hence, depending on your travel pattern, you might find the daily tickets suitable. Note that on Sundays, the Sunday Saver is the best value and as a bonus it extends to zone 2 as well. You can buy it ahead of time at convenience stores, staffed stations and the Met info office at the Town Hall (but not from the machines on trams or at stations).

Edited: 02 April 2011, 01:38
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

And also to add to the above excellent advice...buy your tickets before using the train and all trams. As no trams have conductors selling tickets and all minor train stations are usually unmanned.

England
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

Thanks for the info

Two of us travelling.

we just want to travel from our hotel near albert park to the city and back, twice.

Is this possible?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

dead easy! All you need is is to buy four inner zone daily tickets to cover both of you for two days.

Just validate (via machine on board the tram or at entrance to train platform) each time you travel.

You can use the tickets on all trams in the city and inner suburbs also if you plan any sightseeing or travel around the city .

There is a tram from Albert Park to the city which will get you there and back very easiy.

England
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

Thanks Strathy

Where do you buy these tickets?

England
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

RobSYD

I had a look at that website but after 10 mins developed a raging headache.

I think the best thing for us is to accumulate a large supply of coins and just pay as we go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

i feel sorry for visitors to melbourne i live here and dont use it that often and find it confusing at times.i agree just buy 4 daily inner zone(zone 1 )tickets and validate put them in the machine which will validate and spit back out to you.just remember to validate each time you hop on a train/tram.try www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au and look at fare tickets unfortunately they only sell online to australian addresses.7/11 newsagents sell tickets also.they usually have a sticker on the shop window saying so.good luck

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

Albert Park is well served by trams, but which route will be most convenient for you depends on just where you're staying. If by chance you're staying at one of the hotels in Queens Rd (which is near the park but postal-wise isn't Albert Park), then use the trams in St Kilda Rd (several routes giving a good service - on return from Swanston St, use any route except 1 or 8). If you're in the area that the post office regards as "Albert Park", then you'll have a choice of several routes. Most people find that they quickly get used to the trams after a trip or 2.

England
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport in Melbourne.

Thanks Gat and Geedee

We are staying at The Albert Park Manor Boutique Hotel. Sounds delightful but am prepared for worse. Next door to MacDonalds.

405 St Kilda Road

Edited: 03 April 2011, 12:09