We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Hi everyone

I'm still planning my trip to Australia - only a few more weeks now and I can't wait. I'm trying to sort out car hire and wondered if anyone could give me any tips on which firms are actually located in the Melbourne's airport terminal, and which ones you'd have to be bussed to (which I'd like to avoid if possible). We're arriving on Virgin Blue from Sydney - does this flight land in the International Airport or not?

All help gratefully received.

Thanks.

PHOENIX
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Um, yeah, can't help you much with which airport it lands at. Does it have it on your itinerary or would your travel agent be able to check? There are at two different airports - Avalon, which is about an hour outside of Melb and Tullamarine which is the big international one (big being relative here, of course, since you're coming from the country with Heathrow in it). I think VB mostly comes into Tullamarine, in the old Ansett terminal.

Tullamarine and Avalon have all the usual big names in rentals - Hertz, Budget, Thrifty (ha, ha), etc, etc.

www.avalonairport.com.au

www.melbourne-airport.com.au

if you want to get to the car hire sites directly and get rates.

Have fun!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Virgin lands at Tullamarine Airport which is the main airport in Melbourne. I presume you are staying in town, so you can either hire a car at the airport and drive into the city or hire a car in the city and drive from there when needed. When travelling around Melbourne you won't need a car at all and like any big city it is hard to park unless your accom is supplying parking.

All the main firms are at the airport, Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty, Budget....I am behind the times I think, haven't hired a car in a long time so can't remember them all exactly. Try this site http://oodles.com.au/?loc=MEL

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Yes, Virgin blue land at Tullamarine in the domestic side.

They have right next to baggage claim, all of the major car hire companies, Avis, Hertz, Budget,Europcar, etc.

If you can get onto Avis webste, book your car on there as you will get the best rate that way!!

Also, if time permits for you, join there I(Avis') Wizard prefered member program. And youll get more discount!!

If you have a credit card see if your supplying bank of the card has an excess reduction clause as part of your credit cards features(like your rewards program)and they may give you a scheme where you wont have to pay for that annoying excess cover reduction that all of the companies will slam you with when you hire the car!! (well theyll offer it to you!)

Ie; reduces the excess from $1000's to a few hundred if you have a mishap with the vehicle et.

good luck.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

As stated VB flies into T3 at Tullamarine. No hassle as all 3 terminals are part of the one building. There are desks at the baggage claim area & the cars are parked only 80 to 100 meters away .

In regards to the insurance excess your travel insurance copmany may have an option to cover this at a fraction of what the Car rental companies do, Unless of course your rewards program covers it as mentioned above.

UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Thanks everyone - great advice as usual.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

All the car hire firms are located underneath the multi- story car park directly in front of the terminals (they are in a line either side of the enterance to the Hilton Melbourne Airport- you can't miss them- there is also a police station there). You leave the terminals, walk across the road and you cannot miss them. The cars themselves are collected right behind the offices in the lower level of the car park itself.

All the usually susfects, Hetz, Budget, Europcar/National, Avis and Thrifty.

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Jetix, i have got my car hire for my australia trip via the Virgin Blue website, found it a lot cheaper that way, granted it is for the Brisbane part of my stay but you can get it from where ever you need ,i have got 2 days car hire for doing the GOR and i got that with herz via website.

Hope this is of some help

Ann

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Jetix just so you know picking up a rental car at Tullamarine will add 11% to the bill. You can avoid this if you pick up the car in the city.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

If your just using car for driving GOR then I would pick car up in city.Driving in Melb is not easy...trams everywhere..plus trams are the best way to get around the city and its fun.

UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire at Melbourne Airport

Thanks for all these helpful tips, people. We're actually staying in Mount Waverley, so from what you've all advised, I'll try and hire a car more locally. Does anyone know if there are any car rental companies in Mount Waverley, or where the nearest ones would be?

Thanks once again.