We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

I was wanting to get opinions from people who have visited Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island of how to spend a day trip from Melbourne with our own vehicle. Travel in early June.

There seems to be a huge number of places to visit on the mornington peninsula - what would come most recommended? If we went to Phillip Island, we thought we would visit Bass River Winery and the Chocolate Factory.

If we were going to make a full day of it, wondering whether we can combine the two? We like scenery and food & wine.

Also, I have been to the penguin parade but my sister has not. Is it worth it in winter - I'm feeling cold just thinking about it!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
1,349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

If you decide to go to Mornington Peninsula, try the Portsea pub for lunch...

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
1,349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

Sorrento is a pleasant place to visit as well, with nice cafes, bakeries and restaurants....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

Sorry to disappoint you but you really couldn't do justice to both in one day. In fact, I wouldn't do Phillip Island unless I could stay overnight - especially if you want to see the Pengiun Parade.

If you have kids with you or want to have some fun go-kart racing, going thru a maze, hiking, or seeing the local fauna and surf, I would go to phillip Island. If you want more time at great eateries, wineries and bayside beach scenery, Mornington Peninsula would be the better choice.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

It's VERY COLD at the Penguin Parade in June. The only advantage is that penguins can't tell time - they come in after dark and it gets dark early so it's not such a late night. Many are out at sea at this time of the year (not coming back to nest) so the parade itself is less amazing than it would be in summer.

I'll second a vote for the Portsea pub. There's also a good one at Sorrento but the name escapes me - someone else will jump in I'm sure.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 09:10
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

Thanks for your very helpful replies to date! It looks like the Mornington Peninsula is the place to go. I'll be sad to miss the Chocolate Factory on Phillip Island as that sounds quite interesting (and yummy) but is a big drive just for that. No kids, but my sister and I can enjoy a good maze.... I thought there was one on Mornington Peninsula too. If anyone has other specific recommendations on favourite places on the Peninsula, I would love to hear them. Many thanks, once again.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

The scenery at Cape Schanck and Arthurs Seat is lurvely as well.

U can also try the following:

- Arthurs Seat Lookout

- WInery hopping at Red Hill

- Strawberry farm (touristy but pleasant) also at Red Hill

- Cape Schanck walk. U can also stay overnight in the light house there....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

There is also a pretty good maze complex not far from arthurs seat:

http://www.enchantedmaze.com.au/

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
905 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

If at Arthurs Seat, the views from Seawinds, just around the corner has sweeping uninterrupted views of Melbourne and the bay. Lovely setting, beautiful gardens.

If you go there at dusk there are heaps of kangaroos which the children will love.

I agree Cape Schank is a nice walk.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

If it makes you feel any better, the chocolate itself at the chocolate factory isn't all that great. (I hope they don't read this!)

Soooooo much more to do on the Mornington Peninsula, and it's closer to the CBD.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day - Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island or both....

The Mornington Peninsula was lovely and I definitely would like to visit again some time. Thanks for all the tips.