We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and pub recommendations

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Shopping and pub recommendations

Hello everyone ! I am 20 and holidaying in Melbourne alone as of Sunday for a week.

Can someone please recommend good shopping and a place to go for a drink n have a chat with people ? Maybe a back packer pub ? I am staying in the CBD area xxx

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and pub recommendations

Not sure about the backpacker pubs (but there are plenty)

For shopping in the CBD, depends on what you are looking for. Victoria Market is an institution and definitely walkable from the CBD. Also South Wharf DFO would be very handy and good for bargains. That's south of the CBD, north of the yarra river, again walkable.

There are plenty of mainstream shops in the CBD but the best buys are at the above-mentioned places, and easily accessed by the free city circle tram. There are a few visitor centres in Melbourne who will give you maps and information also, the biggest is at Federation Square opposite Flinders Street Station, corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets. Have fun!

Edited: 01 June 2011, 23:15
Middle Park...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and pub recommendations

Hi there,

Melbourne has a number of great shopping spots..

Catch the tram to Chapel street, South Yarra for a bit of everything.

Or head to the Bourke street mall and have a look at the updated Myer with it's fantastic coffee shops inside the store, then wander through the Block arcade around to Flinders Lane, Degraves Lane etc.. There are great little eateries and interesting shops. Saturday there is a market under the bridge at Southbank and Sunday catch the 112 tram to St Kilda for their market along the esplanade.

Now for pubs... Head to Federation square.. Below Taxi there is a great bar that gets packed on a Friday night or across the road to Young and Jacksons. Also along southbank there are a number of bars that get the after work drinks crowd.

Enjoy your stay...

I love Melbourne!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and pub recommendations

Also suggest the Fed Square area to start out for pubs. There are plenty in the area.

Bridge Road, Richmond is a mecca for shopping. I've spent plenty of days sitting out the fronts of shops waiting for my girlfriend..

Regards,

Aussie Assault

www.flashpackgo.com

4. Re: Shopping and pub recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 13:19