We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Formal Dress

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
School Formal Dress

My daughter and I are travelling to Melbourne next Friday 24 June to purchase a school formal dress for her. Can anyone please advise of where to look?

We do not have a huge budget but would like something nice as she is the School Captain.

I am booking accommodation in George Street Melbourne. Is this area close enough to the city for shopping?

I have heard people mention shopping outlets, can you advise where they are and how to get there.

Thanks for your help.

Leeann

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Formal Dress

I'm assuming you are staying in George St, East Melbourne, which is just out of the CBD, but only a 5 minute tram ride away. You are also only a 5 minute tram ride away from Bridge Road, which from reading previous threads on similar topics, is a popular place for looking for dresses.

(Not that I would know. LOL)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Formal Dress

Depends on the budget - have you thought about looking on ebay...lots of girls are buying their formal gowns for a tenth of the price. Just leave yourself enough time to have delivered and then altered if required. I was at a presentation ball over the weekend and the majority of the girls had bought their dresses on line.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Formal Dress

I second the ebay option, but if you really want to buy something from a shop - then Bridge Road Richmond as already mentioned which is a street of outlet shops (start on corner of Bridge and Hoddle and walk east), Chapel Street (possibly more expensive than Bridge Road - start on corner of Chapel and Toorak Rd's and walk south), Brunswick and Gertrude streets in Fitzroy for something a little more orginal or quirky (start on corner of Gertrude and smith, walk down Gertrude, then turn right into Brunswick and walk the length of it), and then there are the boutiques in the laneways of cbd - Flinders lane and little bourke are good places to start (heaviest section of clothing shops is between Elizabeth and Russell streets for both). There is also DFO at South wharf

Have a look a the tram map here - metlinkmelbourne.com.au/maps-stations-stops/…

then compare it with googlemaps so you can get your bearings.

If you are staying in East Richmond then the tram is probably your best bet for getting around.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School Formal Dress

For a young girl, I would suggest Forever New. Perhaps check out their website to get a feel for their clothes. A nice evening dress will be no more than $130 - although you may already have this store in Caloundra or at least the bigger cities?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Formal Dress

I have no idea what the situation is in Melbourne, but in Sydney( having experienced this same "process"last year) shops selling formal dresses were mostly out in the suburbs rather than in the city. I bought my daughters at a shop called Harts. I see they have a couple of stores in QLD, so if you have no luck in Melbourne could be worth looking them up. (No stores in VIC listed on their website)

Wishing you the best of luck!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School Formal Dress

Thank you all for replying.

My daughter and I have just arrived home from an amazing week in Melbourne.

We purchased a very special Formal Dress on Chapel Street, but shopped on Bridge Road, Sydney Road, Bourke Street, Chadstone Shopping Centre and everywhere in between.

We loved Melbourne and found the public transport very easy to use, reliable and very reasonably priced.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Leeann

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School Formal Dress

Thanks for letting us know you had a great time & successful shopping trip!

8. Re: School Formal Dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2011, 14:05
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School Formal Dress

Leeann, I am going to Melbourne next month to get a formal dress for my daughter. We went 2 yers ago and had a great time looking at all the shops on Bridge Rd. We had lots of choices. What is the name of the shop in Chapel St that you got your daughters dress from?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,456 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School Formal Dress

Peter,

just for he record,

Forever New is an absolute disaster...GD's sports dinner had no less than 5 girsl in the same dress and as females that just doesn't cut it

LOL GD and I had his exac discussion , after walking to the red centre and back for the Yr 10 thing last year, i was should we do Melb next yr