We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Hi All,

I am heading to Melbourne for 5 days in July with my daughter. While we are there she will be celebrating her 20th Birthday. We are staying at Punthill Little Bourke.

We both love Asian food and are after some recommendations for all kinds of Asian food, particularly Yum Cha, Korean and Teppinyaki.

For her birthday my daughter has requested to go to a "authentic" Chinese restaurant, she is studying Mandarin at Uni and is obsessed with all things Chinese. While we would love some recommendations in the Chinatown area we are happy to travel for a great meal.

The last time we were in Melbourne 3 years ago, we went to DFO and Bridge Rd, the later being a little disappointing but we did manage to snag a few bargains at DFO. What are the current best shopping areas, we are happy to head out of the city.

Regarding sightseeing, last time we went to the Museum and the Moving Museum at Fed Square. My daughter is a bit of a Science nerd and loves museums, aquariums etc what do people recommend.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Im interested too, hope you get some feedback :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Yes, restaurant advice would be very welcome.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Hi Eliza, if you search "Yum Cha" and "Korean" in the Melbourne forum, you'll find lots of previous TA threads with suggestions. Also check out the food review sites www.eatability.com.au and www.urbanspoon.com

4. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2017, 11:00
Edited: 24 May 2017, 11:00
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Thanks Kitty,

I've been to Bendigo about 5 or 6 times and love it my daughter used to compete in an annual figure skating competition there.

I think I will go to the Aquarium thank you for the recommendation.

Our plans nearly went down the toilet, we are booked with Tiger :( next Saturday... fortunately I have managed to get them to agree to a refund but it has cost me a fortune to re book...oh well lesson learnt, no more Tiger for me.

Also I will give CoCoChine a go, thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

I like Dragon Boat for Yum Cha - there are a few of them in the city. The quality is the best around in my opinion. http://www.dragonboat.com.au/

7. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Caroline Springs is a long way out of the city with limited public transport options. If you aren't renting a car, stay close to the city. I've been to Shark Fin Inn for Yum Cha & enjoyed it.

9. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mebourne Restaurant, Shopping and Sightseeing advice needed

How long does it take by public transport? I know a great place in East Burwood which my Chinese workmates have taken me to, but it will take an hour by tram to get there so I wouldn't recommend it.