We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Attractions?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
New Attractions?

I studied in Melbourne in the late 90s, visited Melbourne again in 2007.

I will be coming again early next month. Any new attractions? I enjoy scenery, arts and food. I will be staying in the CBD. I'm not too much into the tourists activities as I have done much of those.

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Attractions?

Hi there...

Art on the waterfront (like the blow-hole) at Docklands may be a thing of interest for you, if you haven't already seen it.

Have you been to the Block and Royal Arcades in Melbourne & to Hardware Lane & Degraves Street? Here they have some great eateries and shopping...Google lane ways and arcades in Melbourne.

Not sure what type of scenery you are after... however plenty to see in the gardens around Melbourne eg: Birrarung Marr (near Federation Square), Carlton Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, Flagstaff Gardens also there is South Bank & South Wharf & again Docklands have some good shopping (Harbour Town) and some nice restaurants.

Hope this helps & welcome back to Melbourne!

Kitty

Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Attractions?

Thanks Kitty. No, havent been to Block and Royal.

Since I will be in the CBD most of the time, what about any new joints or small shops which sell interesting things, eg arts and crafts, home made things?

Myers used to sell take away fish and chips. Is it still available? Where can I get good old fashion fish and chips at reasonable price?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Attractions?

Hi again cwss,

Hope this helps-

A place that sells crafts, souvenirs, new age itmes, jewellery, clothing, home & gift wares and art is the Queen Victoria Market on Elizabeth Street

Melbourne. Its an open-air market (outdoors), so you may need to rug up if the weather is poor. Q.V.M have plenty of fresh produce to buy also.

There is a new department store called Zara's that has just recently opened in Bourke Street, Melbourne; they mainly sell clothing. And a shop I must always see when I am in the CBD, is the 'Westminster Gifts' -its Shop 18 in the Royal Arcade off Bourke St Mall. Gorgeous gifts at reasonable prices.

I have never known Myer to sell fish n' chips, but I always get my

fish n' chips from 'The Town Fryer' in Williamstown. They make traditional fish 'n' chips. Yum!

Kitty

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Attractions?

Myer did have the food section on the ground floor Lonsdale store. Myer have sold the Lonsdale store & now just have the Bourke St store, though it has been extensively refurbished & is worth visiting.

Bay St, Port Melbourne has a couple of good options for Fish & Chips. Hunky Dory is more expensive, but very good. I go to Mr Squeeze for a traditional burger, & they do fish & chips also.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Attractions?

Thanks Kitty and Ellenwillow.

Hunky Dory looks good. May just go to the South Yarra branch, since it will be nearer to the CBD.

Yes, Kitty, am very familiar with QVM. Was there almost every weekend during my uni days. That place is a must go!

Thanks!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Attractions?

I would also like to get organic products - muesli bars, cereals, etc. Where can I get those at a bargain? I assume that QVM will have, but any other places near CBD?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Attractions?

Both Coles & Wooworths (Safeway) have a 'Health Food' section with reasonably priced organic food. There are also 'Health Food' shops, but not sure exactly where int he CBD. I know South Melbourne Market has a Health Food shop & Passion Foods is the other side of the tram line. Passion Foods isn't cheap, but they do have a great choice of organic foods.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Attractions?

ok, thanks Ellenwillow

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Attractions?

There is a little organic food store in Degraves St, off Flinders St/Lane.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Attractions?

Hi Unclefey. Do you know the name of the organic shop?

Thanks.