We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery to visit in MEL

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winery to visit in MEL

Any recommendation on which winery to visit in MEL?

By the way, I intend to visit The Ballarat & Sovereign Hill on that day also. Hopefully it is along the way.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

There are quite a few wine regions a few hours drive from Melbourne, but as you are going to Ballarat the same day, you really do want something along the way. You could also look around the Daylesford region, but it will be a bit of a detour.

greatgraperoute.com.au/great-grape-road-wine…

http://www.ballaratwineries.com/map.htm

visitdaylesford.com.au/forms/Content.aspx…

You will need to check that the cellar door will be open for any winery you are interested in as some are only by appointment or only open on weekends.

Captains Creek organic wines are very nice. Cobaw Ridge is also excellent, but is a much longer drive & on a dirt road.

Note that we have very strict drink driving laws here, so the driver needs to be careful with the amount of tasting they do. I'm usually selective about the wines I taste if I'm driving, making sure I have less than a glass full total amount.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Depends on how far you want to drive - King Valley and Rutherglen are stunning parts of Victoria and about a 3 hour drive from Melbourne.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

There are a couple of wineries near Bacchus Marsh. St Anne's Winery has been around for years. There is also one called Waterfalls Winery, but I've not been there. Bacchus Marsh is on the way to Ballarat. But you're trying to squeeze an awful lot into one day. Sovereign Hill will take most of the day.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Are you staying overnight in Ballarat? You won't have time to do anything other than Sovereign Hill and Ballarat town itself if not. Unclefey is right, Sovereign Hill alone will take most of your day.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Hi all, thanks for the advice.

I heard about St Anne Winery as for the other suggestions, I will take a look and see how it fits.

Thought of spending half a day at a winery (if it is along the way) & half a day at Ballarat. Thereafter, drive back to Mel city in the evening. Didn't realise that I can spend one full day at Ballarat. Too much for a day based on all the above feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

You won't need half a day at a winery unless you plan on doing lots of tasting &/or having lunch. Half an hour is usually enough to try a few of wines. The only thing will be opening hours for the cellar doors as they tend to be afternoons, which is when you will be a Sovereign Hill.

Your best plan might be to go to Sovereign Hill first, then if you have time in the afternoon stop off at a winery on your way back.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Sounds like a excellent plan, Ellenwillow! I will hit the hill first and thereafter the winery! Thanks so much again.

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

If I can tag on to your post worrypet - can anyone tell me if wineries and cellar doors will be open at Christmas time in and around Melbourne? We are lucky enough to be spending 8 nights over Christmas and would like to do lots of site seeing and wine tasting, GOR - but will things be closed because of the holiday?

Thank you!

Edited: 22 July 2011, 15:43
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Most will be closed Christmas Day, though some with a resturant may open for lunch. You would need to check closer to Christmas, though I'd expect you will spend the day in the City.

Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, is also a public holiday, but many tourist attractions will be open. I'd expect many wineries & cellar doors will open as it's a day locals like to get out of the city. You will need to double check with the wineries you want to visit tough.

Apart from New Years Day, all the other days are 'normal'. However, as it's school holidays, everything touristy will be operating. If you are planning to stay overnight anywhere outside Melbourne, make sure you book accommodation ASAP.

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winery to visit in MEL

Thank you for the advice ellenwillow. I've been told that the GOR will be much busier starting on Boxing Day than just before Christmas. We land in MEL on December 22, and I was thinking that we should head out right away do the road trip and be back to the city later on the 24th. That way we can explore the city for a couple of days without being on the highways during heavy holiday traffic (I'm nervous about the city driving, and to be honest, driving on the left!).

Will the city and the tourist areas be just chaotic between Christmas and New Year's?