We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Hi there,

Can you please help to advise:

1). Best 4 or 5-star hotel in good location, not too far from Rod Laver. I am assuming this is in center location of Melbourne.

2). Private taxi/cab cost from Melbourne Airport

3). What is the most popular transportation from hotel to Rod Laver. I would prefer private taxi/cab, then how much does it cost?

I do hope I can be there Australian Open Tennis next year.

I would appreciate any of your advice and in the meantime, I remain with thanks.

SLoC

SkyBus
Bus Transportation, Taxis & Shuttles
Omni Car
Taxis & Shuttles
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Rod Laver Arena is not in the centre of Melbourne but it is an easy walk or 5 mintues by tram from the hub of the city, e.g. Flinders St station.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Thank you for your speedy answer! I much look forward to hearing more and more from all of you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

I'm not 100% on all the star ratings of the following hotels, but The Sofitel, Westin, Windsor and Lindrum are all in the same end of the CBD as Rod Laver arena. The Hilton on the Park is just out of the CBD but even closer to the arena.

You could walk to the arena from any of them, but if you really wanted a cab - then I estimate it'd be under $10, possibly as low as $6 from the Hilton

There is a good map of CBD hotels here - wotif.com/hotels/australia-melbourne-cbd-hot…

zoom in and Find Hisense Arena which is just south of the CBD grid above the river. Rod laver arena is large grey oval just to the left of it.

Taxi depending on the time of day is approx $60-70 from the airport to the CBD

Edited: 25 August 2011, 10:02
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Thank you very much, msmegmog!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

@LadyOnCruise, you could also consider the Skybus from the airport.

Take tram.

For a first timer- just get yourself familiar with their Metlink -and you can do your journey planning.

Then of course..to get a good gist of the city- the free shuttle tourist bus and tram #35.

These are hotels(4-5 stars) under 1 km from Rod Laver arena- Grand Hyatt, Hilton, Sofitel, Lindrum, QuayWest Suites- my top choice is Lindrum- near to tram and Parliament raliway station. Sofitel is also great with its floor-to-ceiling windows offering panoramic city, bay or park views.

The nearest hotel is Mantra on Jolimont.

Though it is still around five(5) months away, I do advise, you make your booking early to get the hotel and room category that you wish.

Are you planning to be there the whole period of the tournament.

I have made my booking at Sofitel as they could offer me a better rate than Lindrum (as I hold Accor and also through a good friend in Sofitel Macau property).

Happy planning.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

Also include the Westin on Collins st - couple minutes walk from tram stop to Rod Laver and a 5-10 tram ride at most (or walk in 15 mins yourself).

7. Re: First time in Melbourne! Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 15:22