We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

We're renting a car at the Melbourne airport. Is it a difficult drive from the airport to Geelong? We're getting the car at approximately 2:00 PM. Is there alot of traffic? We're a little intimidated with driving on a different side of the road. Will appreciate any helpful suggestions you have to offer.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,498 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

No it's not difficult, and you will find driving on the opposite side of the road easier than you think. One thing to remember is make sure the roads white line is always on your right. When you hire your car ensure you get a GPS. The drive is only 50 miles, very straight forward. I have driven the same course, and the GPS will direct you with ease.

In the thousands of miles I have driven in the US and Europe I found you need to keep your concntration when approaching and leaving a round a bout, and turning into and leaving a property entry.

Also, Melbourne has an etag system (toll road system) for certain areas in and around the city centre. If you are only driving from Tullamarine Airport to Geelong you won't need etag. If you do drive to the city, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do set the GPS to avoid tolls. And even if you don't avoid the tolls your rental car company will invoice the toll costs against you credit card.

The traffic in Melbourne will be busy, but their freeway system allows an easy drive to Geelong, again rmember to set your GPS to avoid tolls..

Just relax, and enjoy the sites.

Safe travels - Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

The drive from the airport to geelong is freeway all the way - so most of the time there is little risk that you will be confused about which side of the road you are on.

You will start on the Tullamarine freeway towards the city. After you have gone through the sound tunnel and over the Bolte bridge you will have the option of exiting left towards the city or continuing and veering right. Continue and veer right and you will find yourself on the Geelong Freeway. It is very well signposted but don't stress out if you see a sign telling you that you are heading towards the airport - there is another (mainly domestic) airport near Geelong called Avalon.

The freeway continues to bypass Geelong, so make sure you know which exit you want to use to get to your destination.

In the middle of the day you should find the traffic pretty light. Peak hour won't kick in until after 5pm. You won't find the drive challenging at all as it is an almost dead straight run - in fact the drive is renowned as one of the most boring roads in Victoria. I hope you get some more scenic routes later in your trip (but wait to drive the reat Ocean road until you are a bit more acclimatised to driving on the "wrong" side of the road!)!

Having driven on the opposite side of the road in my travels, I would agree with Robert - roundabouts are probably the most important place to concentrate!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

The drive from the airport to geelong is freeway all the way - so most of the time there is little risk that you will be confused about which side of the road you are on.

You will start on the Tullamarine freeway towards the city. After you have gone through the sound tunnel and over the Bolte bridge you will have the option of exiting left towards the city or continuing and veering right. Continue and veer right and you will find yourself on the Geelong Freeway. It is very well signposted but don't stress out if you see a sign telling you that you are heading towards the airport - there is another (mainly domestic) airport near Geelong called Avalon.

The freeway continues to bypass Geelong, so make sure you know which exit you want to use to get to your destination.

In the middle of the day you should find the traffic pretty light. Peak hour won't kick in until after 5pm. You won't find the drive challenging at all as it is an almost dead straight run - in fact the drive is renowned as one of the most boring roads in Victoria. I hope you get some more scenic routes later in your trip (but wait to drive the reat Ocean road until you are a bit more acclimatised to driving on the "wrong" side of the road!)!

Having driven on the opposite side of the road in my travels, I would agree with Robert - roundabouts are probably the most important place to concentrate!

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Actually, if you're driving to Geelong from Tulla, on the Tulla Freeway you take the Western Ring Road exit to Sunshine (next exit after Mickleham Road) and head towards Geelong that way. The ring road ends at the Princes Freeway where you stay in the two right lanes to turn towards Geelong. No Cloverleaf there. All signposted.

No need to go via the Bolte Bridge on the TOLL road.

Do note that there are roadworks on the Ring Road at present and there are variable speed limits and fixed speed cameras there and all the way to Geelong. Tolerance levels for speed cameras are about 3km/hour in Victoria, so it doesn't take much to get snapped.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

The most confusing part of the drive between Melbourne airport and Geelong, is in the first 5 kms. When you have left Melbourne airport (ensure you are heading towards the city NOT away from the city), stay in the left hand lane and you need to take the SECOND "Western Ring Road" turn off. The first Western Ring Road turn off will take you away from Geelong! Once you are on the Western Ring Road, follow it all the way and this will join with the Princes Highway - which will take you to Geelong.

There are no tolls going this way.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Agree with the above comments - it is easy once you are going the right way along the Western Ring Road. Be careful of speed limits on the highway as there are plenty of "safety" cameras hidden on the overpasses...

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Thanks everybody- I want a little adventure driving but not too much.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

We are also planning to take this route straight from the airport to Geelong...my question is however the return. If we are coming from the Great Ocean Road or Southern touring route, can we also avoid the tolls coming back?

I'm getting a bit worried and confused on all the toll roads. If we can avoid hitting any to and from the Great Ocean Road that would be ideal.

Thanks for you prior suggestions!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Simplest route but not necessarily the shortest, is to come towards Melbourne on the Princes Highway. When you get to Laverton, turn off onto the Western Ring Road - M80 (it's a big intersection, you can't miss it) and follow the signs to the airport. No tolls on this road.

The same route (in reverse) will get to to the Great Ocean Road without tolls.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Melbourne airport to Geelong

Tigger2lee,

If you come up the great ocean road through Geelong (well bypassing it via the new bypass) and then up Geelong road and take the Western Ring Road then onto the Tullamarine Freeway to the airport you will not pass any toll roads. Plenty of speed cameras, but no tolls. The toll system is very easy and some hire cars include them in their tarrifs anyway.