We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport around the city.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport around the city.

Hi there,

We're coming to Melbourne in November, staying at The Hotel Charsfield on St. Kilda Road.

I'd be very grateful for advice as to the best mode of transport to get to and from the Airport.

I'm also interested in how best to get around the city from our base?

Many thanks in advance.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport around the city.

Hi, Have you read the "How do I get fron the airport to the city on the right top of the Melbourne forum page. Then you can cab it down to your hotel or tram it if you arrive in the day and haven't too much luggage.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport around the city.

What time of the day do you arrive? Also, how many of you will there be? Hotel Charsfield which is on St Kilda Road, has many trams passing the front door. However, public transport for a first time visitor is not ideal.

I would recommend catching Skybus to Southern Cross station and then taxi to your hotel. The taxi ride from Southern Cross to Charsfield hotel should not take any more than 10 - 15 minutes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport around the city.

Public transport, combined with walking, would be the best way to get around the city from your base.

Hotel Charsfield is on St Kilda Rd which is one of the main tram routes in Melbourne with trams every few minutes. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get into the city from where you are staying.

I suggest that you buy a Zone 1 Daily Metcard to get you into and out of the city.

A Zone 1 Daily Metcard will give unlimited travel on trams, trains and buses in Zone 1 which includes the city and suburbs within about a 15km radius of the city.

A Zone 1 Daily Metcard costs $7 for an adult. They can be purchased on board trams. Warning:the vending machines on board trams do not take bank notes, only coins, and change is not available on board the tram.

You can purchase Metcards from convenience stores. The closest Metcard agent to your hotel is the newsagent at 499 St Kilda Road.

Going towards the city the 7/11 store at 424 St Kilda Road also sells Metcards. You may want to walk up to the 7/11 and buy your tickets then keep walking up St Kilda Road to the Shrine of Remembrance which is near the corner of St Kilda and Domain Roads. The Melbourne Botanical Gardens are very close to the Shrine of Remembrance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport around the city.

trams the best--Skybus,then the SKyvan to hotel.

Nov is fine for the Metcards,before they switch to MyKi.

Depending on how you travel and frequency,study the options available in respect of zoning, duration, weekends.it can be confusing,but once you master it..it save you a lot.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport around the city.

@mKiaratravel - whilst Skybus runs a shuttle bus from its Southern Cross Station terminal to city hotels, the hotel shuttle service does not go down St Kilda Road to Hotel Charsfield. This is why Navy suggested Skybus to the city then taxi to the Hotel Charsfield.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport around the city.

We land at 11am and there's two of us.

We're only in town for 3 days before heading back to the UK.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated!

Coming home we need to back at the airport for 9am and it'll be a Friday morning. I'm thinking a taxi would be best option?

Cheers

James

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport around the city.

Does your flight leave at 9am or you want to be at the airport by 9am? Either way, give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport at that time of day. Taxis and buses have a priority lane on the freeway, however, the delays can still be quite heavy.

If you are prepared to pay for a taxi then that would be best. Otherwise get a taxi to Southern Cross station and catch the Skybus to the airport. Skybus is a very reliable and safe form of transport between the city and airport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport around the city.

@3124Downunder, thanks for clarifying. You know, I am here, and mind goes blank very often,with Guinness pie, few glasses of Carlton, then a bottle of wine- I am loving it so much here.

In fact got hold of an estate agent from BP(office at La Trobe) to view some properties as am interested to have one here for my winter home-you know to escape HK hot and humid weather presently.

@jc_oz_2011 Yep, if the taxi cost direct to airport from your hotel is fine,then it is best,though with Skybus running 24/7 from Southern Cross,the option for taxi from hotel to here,then Skybus can be considered-as mentioned, Skybus has priority lane or gosh..he is always on the fast lane- I took one three days ago to meet up my friend at the airport,it was 5.30am and within 20mins I have reached the international terminal. Fare,if my mind is clear already is AUD16.00.

Using my GPS, it gives me a estimation of 33kms from St Kilda to Tullamarine,and from my rough calculation,and rounding up,the taxi fare will be around AUD75.00.

If you take a taxi from St Kilda road to Southern Cross- a distance of around 4.5kms, taxi fare is AUD17.00

So with careful planning,and a brighter early morning start, you could save AUD35-AUD45

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport around the city.

so you land at 11am,and since there are only two of you-I still think the best is Skybus to Southern Cross Station, and from, there are so many possibilities to reach your hotel.

or relax first at Southern Cross-get yourself a 2 hr or one day Metcard(up escalator,to where Southern Cross pharmacy is) look for a orange colored kiosk--then with the ticket

well, you can walk to Spencer St/Lonsdale St bus stop and take route 216 or 219 which heads to Brighton Beach or Gardenvale respectively,and alight at Commercial Road/St Kilda stop,and a walk of 300metres will take you to your hotel.

All this journey planning courtesy of Metlink or "doggy" tram tracker on my iPod,whilst now having a late tea at Hopetoun (Block Arcade) on Collins St.

All this is within Zone 1-so it depends on your next plan,once you are in your hotel- more tram/bus/train-this will help you decide whether you want the 2 hour metcard(AUD2.40) which expires after 2hours from first validation,or the one day zone 1 Metcard(AUD7)-though it states one day--if you buy at noon,it expires at midnight,and not noon of next day.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport around the city.

@mKiaratravel - don't want to seem to be "picky", but a few little points:

A 2 hour ticket costs $3.80 ($2.40 is the concession price). It lasts for 2 hours from the next whole hour after you validate it (that is, if you validate it at 9.05 am, it lasts for 2 hours from 10 am, that is, till noon). And if you validate it after 6 pm, it lasts until 3 am next day. You only have to have commenced your journey (passed the in barrier at the station or validated on the tram/bus) by the expiry time - you can complete your journey even after the expiry time.

True, the daily ticket is only valid on the day you buy it, but it does extend until 3 am (not midnight).

The idea of using the 216/219 bus from Lonsdale St is interesting, but there are a few bus stops there, so make sure you find the right one. Note that you can buy tickets from the driver of a bus, and they can change a note for you (although I wouldn't press my luck with anything too large!)

For travel on Sundays, check out the Sunday saver fare - it's a good deal, and even extends to zone 2, but you have to buy it at a staffed station or ahead of time at a 7-11 or similar (you can't get it from a machine). See

metlinkmelbourne.com.au/fares-tickets/…