We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

My husband and I will be staying in Melbourne for 6 nights. We arrive at midnight and plan to go directly to the city and spend a few nights, would it be prudent to skip the city and stay outside beginning our

GOR tour.

It is just the two of us, would you suggest a tour or go about ourselves ? We have traveled a lot and driving is not a problem.

Thanks.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

HI,

It is not clear from your post whether you are just planning to do the GOR or have plans to spend time in Melbourne. Was there anything else you were planning on doing/seeing?

If you arrive at midnight you may not be out of the airport for an hour and then you have to pick up your hire car and drive into town, maybe a 20 minute drive, depending if they have night works on the freeway.

You can stay at the hotels at the airport when you arrive and the next day you could pick up your hire car and head out along the Tullamarine Freeway onto the Western Ring Rd to Geelong and then on your way to the GOR. Then you would be on a new hire car day, well rested and ready to tackle driving on the left hand side of the road.Yes, you can do the GOR yourselves. Sharing the driving gives you both the time to relax and enjoy the views.

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

Thanks for the timely response. We do indeed plan to spend several nights in Melbourne, also the the GOR and perhaps one of the national parks.

Arriving so late we thought maybe we should go directly into Melbourne via taxi or something and stay two nights then rent a car and for touring outside the city.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

IMO arriving at midnight in a new country where you are unfamiliar with the roads, roads rules, driving habits AND used to driving on the other side of the road is a really bad idea!

Your idea of getting a cab into the city and relaxing in Melbourne for a couple of days first makes a lot of sense.

All the major car rental agencies have offices in the city so you can pick up a car and takeoff at your leisure.

If you do 3 or 4 days along the GOR, there are several NP options - most of the GOR borders on the Great Otway NP. If you have the time, then head further north west to the Grampians which are quite spectacular. North of Bacchus Marsh, the Lerderderg State Park has some great walking tracks.

If driving is not an issue for you then I would suggest that you will see a lot more if you drive yourself than take a tour - although there are many who will disagree with me. Just make sure you take time to make plenty of stops along the GOR so you can fully appreciate it. There are also lots of walking tracks along the length of the GOR so you can pull into on of the many parking areas and take a walk along the cliff tops or beaches.

Enjoy the trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

As long as you have at least 2 days it's best to self drive the GOR rather than do a tour. Tours are a good alternative when you only have one day to see the GOR as it is a lot of driving. If you look at the top questions for Melbourne, you will find links to threads discussing the different options.

Dublin
Level Contributor
148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

Hi,

If you are planning a visit to a national park, I can highly recommend The Grampians. Stunning scenery and wildlife. You can camp in the park, or avail of accommodation options in Halls Gap a small town at the foot of the Grampians. Mt partner and I camped in the park for a few nights, and it was the highlight of our trip. www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Grampians.aspx

I can also recommend Wilsons Prom, as a secondary option.

Enjoy your trip Australia is a fantastic country!!!

6. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 November 2011, 06:05
Geelong
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

I'd agree that, as long as you have a couple of days, driving the Great Ocean Road yourself is a better idea. You can take it at your own pace, stop off at the gorgeous beach towns along the way and not get car sick while hurtling around corners in a tour bus that has a fixed schedule and limited time. If you're driving it yourself, I'd also recommend a detour to Otway Fly treetop walk - really puts you in the middle of the beautiful surroundings and is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

South Gippsland is simply stunning,lots of beautiful little towns and of course Wilson's Prom.A couple of pretty towns on the way with lots to see and nice food : Loch,antiques,galleries,collectibles,historicbuildings,beautiful cottage gardens and Meeniyan,galleries,historic rail trail and not far from the Prom. There are many types of accommodation available.The Visit Victoria and Prom Country websites are great for ideas.

9. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 November 2011, 06:05
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Holiday Advice Needed

Hi

We did 3 days in Melbourne. Two we spent around the city and one day we did a GOR tour. Admittedly we left at about 7.30am and arrived back about 10pm but I found it interesting. You haven;t said if you are driving onwards to South Australia or just leaving from Melbourne.

I'd consider getting the day tour of the GOR if it is the latter and then hiring a car for the last 2 >3 days to go to the National Parks.

Melbourne City is quite trendy and the Lanes of Melbourne hold some interest.

See my review listed below of Melbourne and the day tour GOR we went on.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255100-r…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255100-d…

Also I have a Trip Wow of Melbourne and the GOR. The tour only goes as far as the Shipwreck Coast and the remaining Apostles...but a great day out.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00d0-914a-545f

Enjoy!

Niec