We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to melbourne

A friend and myself are planning the usual holiday of a lifetime to Australia from the uk. It has to be in August and will last three weeks. We want to visit the great barrier reef, Sydney and Melbourne including the Great Ocean Road. My question is would it be good to travel by car from Sydney to melbourne ? Is there plenty to see or should we fly devoting valuable time elsewhere?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to melbourne

Hi,

August is our winter - so Sydney & Melbourne will be chilly. August is lovely weather in Nth Queensland & its also out of the stinger season. A fabulous time to visit Nth Qld.

It will be too cold for beaches in Sydney & Melbourne.

Itinerary suggestion - 21 days. - for good weather.

Sydney - 3 days - Uluru - 2 days - Cairns - 6 days - Whitsundays - 3 days - Melbourne - 3 days - see the Great Ocean Road. - 3 days.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to melbourne

Whether to fly or drive between Sydney and Melbourne depends on your interests. Driving inland, you could first stop in Canberra for a few days of museums and outdoor activities (we enjoyed hiking at Namadgi NP in August). Then head down to Victoria, stopping in Beechworth, Bendigo and Ballarat for a bit of Australian history. You could even include stops in Thredbo in NSW or around Falls Creek in Victoria if you fancy some alpine sports. Then finish up in Melbourne. I'd plan on 7 - 12 days for a trip like this, depending on the number of stops you want to make.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to melbourne

Personally, I would fly between Syd and Melb. It will be winter and the days will not be long and quite cold. The time you spend driving, could be better spent elsewhere - such as GOR or Cairns.

4. Re: Sydney to melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 10:21