We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geelong to Melbourne in peak hour traffic

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Geelong to Melbourne in peak hour traffic

Hi all, quick question - I am coming to Geelong for a meeting which will finish at 5pm on a weekday. Bearing in mind it's going to be peak hour traffic how long do you think I should allow for the drive back to Tullamarine Airport ??

Cheers !!

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geelong to Melbourne in peak hour traffic

You are driving from Geelong to Melbourne; The worst of the peak traffic will be at the ring road end and getting onto the Tulla Freeway from there with the roadworks currently at the off-ramp. Then the section of the Tulla just before the airport exit is also often backed up to Mickelham Rd exit. The ring road seems to be a mess almost always both ways in that section. I'd allow two hours.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geelong to Melbourne in peak hour traffic

There is a back way to go if you are ok with directions. It is a much nicer drive and wouldn't have any of the crappy traffic you can face on the Western Ring Road.

Geelong to Bacchus Marsh.

Through Bacchus Marsh and Darley to the top of the hill and turn right to Toolern Vale.

This brings you out in Diggers Rest where you cut across to the Sunbury - Bulla road and you come into the airport the back way. You would only need to allow 1.5 hours for this trip.

3. Re: Geelong to Melbourne in peak hour traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:17